secondary schools' league tables

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
muddled

secondary schools' league tables

Post by muddled »

can anyone enlighten me on how schools manage to get well over 1000 points in the "average pupil A level points score" column? If an A grade A level is worth 120 points, how many A levels are these kids taking? Or how else are schools massaging the figures (other than adding the worthless General Studies AS scores which in any case wouldn't bump up the figures THAT much)?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Does it say that or is it the value added? That often has 1000 as the 'average' with score higher being better and scores below the opposite. The further from 1000 the better [or worse] a school is doing.
muddles

Post by muddles »

no it's definitely the average A level points score per pupil
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The DfES says:

'The Post-16 Tables previously used the UCAS tariff to calculate the
average point scores; however this does not extend to all approved
qualifications. The Qualifications and Curriculum Authority (QCA) have,
therefore, developed a scoring system for all qualifications so that they can be included in the Tables. (It is important to note that the point scoring system developed by the QCA is designed for use as a means of institutional
performance measurement. It is not intended that the figures replace national
systems used for other purposes).'

SO it is using a different scale which I shall try to find!
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

120 is the number of UCAS points per A level; the UCAS tariff is used for UNI places.
The league tables use the QCA tariff which gives 270 points per A level.

Here's a reference to the dfes details:

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/performancetable ... nnex.shtml

or

http://www.sevenoaksschool.org/doc_docs ... c_2006.pdf
p 46
loulou

Post by loulou »

The system has changed this year and the points you see in the A/AS column are the average points achieved per child for the school between the ages of 16 and 18 which I think is the total point score for A level and AS level. An A grade at A level is worth 270(!) points but I don't know how the others are scored. If a school does the IB, 40 ponts will give a score of 1230.
If a child gets 4 A levels at A grade that gives 1080 points without even including AS levels. Much has changed since I did A levels and an A grade was 10 points and scoring 30 was considered good going!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Eventually found on:

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/performancetable ... 6/d3.shtml

Hope this helps -
much less muddled now

Post by much less muddled now »

thanks everyone, I get it now! It seems some of the newspapers don't though and were giving the 120 ucas tariff to explain that column with A level scores in the thousands!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now