School bags for Year 7

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

zorro

Re: School bags for Year 7

Post by zorro »

heartmum, you are very lucky with your boys! My DS is more fashion concious than his sister! Drives me mad! :twisted:
bcookerblum

Post by bcookerblum »

Don't spend too much, it's surprising how they seem to need a huge bag to start off with but after a term or two can manage to fit everything into a tiny handbag!
By the way, those clippy bags- are they any good? My daughter's into scrapbooking, making collages..etc and it looks like the sort of thing she might like( thinking birthday pressy)
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

I agree with Marigold when comparing bag to school shoe buying.

We started off with the R.xy back pack and now it depends on the day of the week. Some days she needs more books than others so it depends on the day of the week which bag she takes.

My oldest (just finished Y11) seemed to go back to the back pack after an assortment of other bags (Primarni etc)
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

bcookerblum wrote: it's surprising how they seem to need a huge bag to start off with but after a term or two can manage to fit everything into a tiny handbag!
My DD is the opposite. The higher she moves up in school, the heavier her bag becomes!!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

bcookerblum wrote: By the way, those clippy bags- are they any good?

They're excellent quality. Really well made, loads of room, exactly what you what in a school bag. When dd started at school she had it all nicely decorated then at Christmas time we changed the theme to suit - it was great fun!
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

I'd say for DDs don't spend v much at all on bags for yr 7 initially - as soon as they start at their new schools their preferences change so much. In my DD's case a once 'cool' and expensive bag was soon consigned to the back of the wardrobe for a much less practical, back straining but 'really cool' bag - and there have been numerous since. DS hopefully will not be so fashion conscious
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Cats wrote:DS hopefully will not be so fashion conscious
You can live in hope! :lol:

DS changed overnight from utterly disinterested to a hair flicking fashionista! :shock: :roll:
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

mitasol wrote:
Cats wrote:DS hopefully will not be so fashion conscious
You can live in hope! :lol:

DS changed overnight from utterly disinterested to a hair flicking fashionista! :shock: :roll:
oh dear I hope not, though I think if my DD has anything to do with it he will - she recently tried to style his hair (weird fringe curled upwards with so much gel that it would need a gale to move it a millimetre - he looked like he should be in a boy band) and keeps telling him the t-shirts/bags worn by boys in his school - it's so not him, or wasn't...will have to muzzle her! :lol:
teffi

Post by teffi »

I was getting worried reading these posts. We've bought DS a The North Face rucksack to start grammar ( we got him a Qicksilver one first but the seam went on a shoulder strap so we got a refund). He loves it - so far. . . . !
Am happier since reading heartmum's post because I think that like her DSs mine won't care as long as the bag is big enough to carry his stuff. He'll be walking 1.3 miles each way to school so bag needs to be comfy to carry.
sallyj

Post by sallyj »

DS started off with a basic backpack which we replaced within a couple of weeks with a messenger bag 'cos they're cool 8) I panicked at the sheer weight of the thing-train ride plus long walk :( & ordered a nifty pull along bag with a retractable handle which turned into a backpack.
Initial euphoria was quickly forgotten as the wheels discintegrated from being bounced up & down station footbridge steps & the handle was continually being pulled up whilst DS wore it as a backpack, leaving him looking like a lunatic with an aerial sticking up :roll:
Back to the messenger bag,just enough room for books but not really a large packed lunch-essential when extra sports clubs mean no time for canteen !
At least the sports kit is in it's own specific bag-has to be purchased direct from school though. Minimal carrying here. It goes to school on Monday & despite the school saying no leaving in lockers all week,it,like several hundred others,returns home extremely whiffy on a Friday :oops: No-one in thier right mind wants to be anywhere near those locker doors at 3.45 on Fridays :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now