Holiday bedtimes

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

zorro

Holiday bedtimes

Post by zorro »

Anyone else's DC broken up and driving them mad yet? :roll:

DS going to bed at 11.30pm on average and then won't get up until 11am! :shock: :shock: He has friends coming at 1.30 and is still in bed. I am tempted to leave him there to embarrass him when they arrive. Grrrrrr :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
sherry_d

Re: Holiday bedtimes

Post by sherry_d »

I must confess I let her go to bed whatever time she likes and yes that means 1am on some days and she doesnt crawl out until about midday :oops:. When we have some activities planned thats when I have to ask her to go to bed early. I am quite strict with her routine during term time so I let holidays be the time she can let her hair down and for once do what she likes. :oops:
Impossible is Nothing.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

We always relax during the holidays, but won't let dd go to bed whenever she likes - we do this when there's sleepovers and know the consequences of it :shock: :shock:

I also don't like the next day being wasted by staying in bed half the day.

So, come half ten-ish, it'll be night night (she always takes about half an hour before she actually gets into bed after that anyway :lol: :lol: ).
zorro

Post by zorro »

sherry-d , you have made me feel that I am not such a bad mother after all! Yes, DS has to get up at 6.30am on school days so I suppose a few late nights won't hurt. Also, he did just get his academic scholarship so I suppose that earns him a few late nights too!! :)
doodles

Post by doodles »

We don't go mad but bedtimes certainly get pushed out a bit in the holidays. Still try and get DS2 (8yo) into bed by 8.30p.m. but if there is a film or prog on that he is watching am more lenient. DS1 (11) still in bed by 9'ish I am afraid but if prog on....... I just can't stand them being in bed for half of the next day.

Probably being really mean..... am I?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

No, I don' think we're mean Doodles. It's just that some children can take late nights and others can't. My dd certainly can't and I'm the one (and the rest of the family I suppose :roll: ) who has to put up with it the next day or so.
marigold

Post by marigold »

I am quite mean too.

By 9.30 ish I have " done " children ( ages 11 and 13 )and want my sitting room back so even during the holidays they have to be upstairs by then. They do have a tv in their rooms but with such a bad aerial that they can only watch BBC 1 if the wind is in the right direction and other channels if there is no wind. I do not really care what they are up to as long as it is in their room and it is done quietly. My 16 year old is often in bed before them but with a lap top permanently fixed to Facebook under her covers.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

zorro, I think our DSs are similar ages and mine is just like this (as was I at his age) – much prefers to stay up late then get up late. In holidays we tend to take the view that the amount of sleep is more important than when it occurs, if you see what I mean, so would rather DS sleeps in late and isn’t grouchy the next day!

DD (just 12) stays up until about 10pm (instead of 9pm during term-time) but is so active that she has usually had it by then most nights.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Have to admit I was the same, stayed up reading(yes, reading!!) until late and then hated getting up the next day!
He has a tennis course next week so will be going to bed earlier then as has to be on court at 10am! :shock:
Was just talking about this to the mum of one of the boys who has come over to 'play'and she said hers is exactly the same. She said about a week before they go back to school she gradually reduces his bedtime. Sounds like a good plan. DH just rang me and was horrified when i told him DS was still in bed, so think he may be in for a telling off tonight :lol: :lol:
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

I never thought my 16 year old would be tucked up and fast asleep by 9.30 pm, especially in the school holidays. It's amazing what work experience on a dairy farm can do! :lol:
Marylou
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now