Marmalade and Driving

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
wonderwoman

Re: Marmalade and Driving

Post by wonderwoman »

Ally wrote:Yes driving is a life skill, but by no means essential. How many people you live in cities either don't drive or don't own a car? Driving lessons, owning and ruining a car is still a luxury but very useful if you live in a more rural area
I'm not getting at you - just difference of opinion :)

When I lived in London I hardly ever used a car, but it was useful when I was on placement and the bus option required 3 changes.

Now I'm back in the country I think some sort of motorized transport is a necessity not a luxury. There is a new charity here, that has some sort of loan arrangement with scooters, training and insurance to ensure people can get to where the work is. We have very limited choices for many young people and if they live in a village and don't have transport they are effectively locked out of the job market. There are also families who are unable to attend school functions - even parents' evenings because there is no public transport at all in some rural areas. It's a vicious circle - can't get a job because they have no transport, can't afford driving lessons and car, because they have no job.
Milla

Re: Marmalade and Driving

Post by Milla »

if you just google collingwood you get a discount code straight up, making it even cheaper. Maybe T&Cs.
I paid for myself to learn to drive when I started work, in London, at 21. It made me a good driver, if a little aggressive ( :oops: ) but you learn not to hang around dithering at junctions in London. And, like so much, you learn fast and don't take it for granted when you're actually paying for it yourself!
At 17, I opted for a moped (only now can I see why my parents were so against it...) which gave me the freedom I needed and without relying on my parents - borrowing car etc.
I'm amazed now at my friend who is frequently stranded without a car since she thinks her son "needs" it. He'll then stay at his girlfriend's house and she'll be literally marooned until he deigns to reappear maybe a couple of days later. It then costs her money to have to get the supermarkets to deliver food since she can't get out and get it. It's one of those many conversations I can't have with her but sort of itch to! Now and again I'll start (since she is then reliant on lifts from me and others and so on, endless ramifications) but she'll just throw her hands up in the air and say "what can you do?" OK, the bus service is patchy but I don't think 18 year olds have the right to zoom around the countryside inconveniencing their mother's friends!
Is this on topic??? maybe not :oops:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now