Year 8 Bedtime?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mummytroubles

Re: Year 8 Bedtime?

Post by mummytroubles »

I'm fascinated by this conversation as I'm facing exactly the same dilemma as there appears to be a massive discrepancy between what time I'd like to be rid of my DC's in the evening and how much sleep they need.

Can I ask all those whose DC's stay up after 9pm in Year 8 and 9 - what do you do about TV? After 9pm I often want to sit down with a drink and watch something either wholly unsuitable eg serious documentary on sensitive subject or very trashy eg Katie Price or a drama with lots of sex in it :wink: which I don't want DC's being bombarded with. OR I want to watch something they'll find terminably boring and moan throughout eg something on politics. When I let them stay up late in the holidays we usually end up watching something inane as the only compromise.

Also when do you get to have a proper conversation with DH? If I want to ***** about my mother-in-law I don't want the DC's listening? :lol:

Where did my life go??

MT
mummytroubles

Post by mummytroubles »

RE above post...can't believe I wasn't allowed to post the s...e....x word!
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

Interesting discussion. Have yr 9 DC who would stay up til 11ish if i let her - I'm going to aim for 9pm in hope she's asleep before 10pm, and other DC yr 7 who i'm aiming for 8.30pm in hope he's asleep before 9.30pm - up 6.30am. Both would naturally sleep til 8.30am-sh so bedtime rules needed. When the dark mornings set in none of us feels like getting up but being properly rested helps a bit
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

My DS's bedtime routines are.

DS1, now in Y13: very rarely see him but do hear him coming in at some ungodly hour most evenings and in the mornings doesn't need to be in until about 10:30 because he doesn't get EMA so no need to register....

DS2, now in Y11: almost always in his room about 5 seconds after coming in from school and rarely see him other than for food and drinks! He is always in bed by 9pm and I leave him to it with regards to turning off his TV as he knows how tired he is and will record a programme if he wants to watch it but too tired.

DS3, now in Y7: is ruled by routine and has only just stopped going to bed at 8pm but will generally be in bed by 8:30pm and turns the TV off around 9:30pm. If he struggles to sleep after that he has to read.... which he hates so he always manages it!!

What I do know is that we have had very good routines with bed times and that DS's 1 & 2 are always moaning about the boys who fall asleep in class as they were up til too late!!!

You know your own children and they need to start to know how to recognise, and manage, their rest in order to function the next day. Some kids just don't need much sleep, others (like my DS3) go in to a state of frenzy if routine is out by more than a few minutes - so we gently keep ours roughly the same but introduce the odd late night at weekends.
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
mad?

Post by mad? »

mummytroubles wrote:
Where did my life go??

MT
Same place as mine :evil: but don't worry, in 6 years time they'll be gone and then we'll be able to watch all the telly we want, alone :( :( :(
mad?
katel

Post by katel »

t12acy - when do you have any family time?
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Blimey.....DD1 who has just started year 7.....goes to bed at 8pm....she potters for a bit, but is generally dead to the world at 8:30pm. ( and still sleeps until 10am at a weekend)
DD2 who has just started year 4..........also goes to bed at 8pm, but faffs forever and is usually asleep by 9pm.
Currently both of them have no issues getting up in the mornings, but we`ll see how that goes.
zorro

Post by zorro »

I am so envious - I wish my DS would go to bed so early!
Mind you he is up in his room doing his homework from about 7.30 until 9.30-10 so we do get some adult time then. I have to call him 2 or 3 times in the morning but he always gets up and ready in time for coach at 07.30. Mind you , he catches up at the weekend!
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

katel wrote:t12acy - when do you have any family time?
Not entirely sure what this means as the question was 'bed time' not 'detail your entire lives from the moment your children come home from school to leaving the next morning?!

On reading my post I realise I forgot to mention that we do have dinner together as a family and that DS's will give me a full run down of their days before heading off to do their homework. Oh and that we spend every Saturday evening watching X Factor but had thought that detail was kind of irelevant..... :lol:
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Sound exactly like our family!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now