How did DC's find their first day?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

andyb

Re: How did DC's find their first day?

Post by andyb »

DS1 absolutely loved Y7 for the first couple of weeks until tiredness took its toll. He then went through a really down patch when we wondered whether we had done the right thing. He thought he was stupid :cry: - even though though the teachers had no issues. He had numerous "tummy-aches" needing a day off school although he'd usually perked up by 9am! In retrospect he probably took on too much when he had to cope with longer days and more homework than he had ever experienced. By October half term he was on the up and by Christmas he was enthusiastic about school again - we have not looked back :D . This year he volunteered to be a guide at the prospective students open evening and was telling all the children what a wonderful school it was and how he loved going there :D .
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

For my DD (so far) all is good, but it is early days and there's a long way to go ..... :shock:

My friends DC is not so sure about their school, they are really missing their primary school/friends and are very tearful at the moment. It's (as the mum said to me) been a hard week!!! :(

The change from primary to high school is great and takes a lot of adjustment - I hope all our DCs get there in the end and enjoy their time at their schools x x x
Heartmum x x x
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Both DD1 and DD2 thought it was "OK" at first and still think it is "OK" a few years down the line. I cannot imagine them using the word "love" and "school" in the same sentence -what's to love??
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

The friends they make, the community they enjoy being part of, the extra-curricular activities they do purely for the fun of it, the competition, the fact that they don't necessarily need to compete, the opportunity to talk about anything and everything with their peers, the chance to be themselves... and that's only the start of it!
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

magwich2 wrote:Both DD1 and DD2 thought it was "OK" at first and still think it is "OK" a few years down the line. I cannot imagine them using the word "love" and "school" in the same sentence -what's to love??
Well according to dd2 there appears, at this early stage a lot to love!
There's the bus journey - :o
Theres meeting loads of noew people and having even more friends - 8)
The science teacher!
The music lessons
The book she has been given to read!
Sausage and mash on a friday.
Her uniform! :?
But NOT the very early mornings :twisted:

(edited to change dd1 to dd2!)
Plum

Post by Plum »

Well, we are one week and two days in and things (touch wood) seem to be going ok, even if DS is rather on the tired side.

For a boy who had never been on a bus on his own before, he now gets on four a day, two each way! We have had some teething problems with one of the buses not doing what is is supposed to do but hopefully these have now been sorted out. :roll:

Trying to get any information from DS is like getting blood from a stone but he appears to be enjoying his new school. He's signed up for the after school rugby practice and is thinking about joining the cross country club as well! He likes the different lessons, especially DT & the sciences. I think he likes that the lessons are more challenging but he would never admit to that. :roll:

He likes the fact that he can get cheese on toast at his mid morning break but doesn't like that he's one of only a few that take a packed lunch and his new friends spend most of their lunchtime queuing up!

He's not too keen on all the homework but he's taking it his stride (I think I'm more stressed about it). We are getting him into the habit of doing it as soon as he gets it despite it not needing to be handed in for a week. That is the only way to keep on top of it - I think he is beginning to realise this. The hard part is knowing what the teachers want at this point - I'm looking forward to some feedback from them as DS will do the bare minimum he can get away with! :evil:

All in all going well - I think we have made the right decision!

Plumx
KS10

Post by KS10 »

DS is loving the fact that the bus driver is laid-back, loves that his English teacher sounds like Severus Snape and loves being able to use the laptop as much as he likes for design work / poster work as he finds art stressful.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

OMG - dd2's 1st day - came out of school wearing no blazer. Big mistake and she promptly got told off by staff member on duty. DD said nothing and put the blazer on.
On asking if she'd had a good day - I met her further down the rd - she told me 'no' as she'd been told off. When I asked why she hadn't been wearing her blazer, she spun around to reveal a huge patch of vomit down the back of her blazer. Of the 1000 girls in the school, my dd had been in the way when one of the others was violently sick! :oops:
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I think your DD deserves a huge hug (minus vomit-ridden blazer) for putting her blazer back on. I would have tried to explain, but then I'm 41, not a shy schoolgirl.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

oh your poor dd tracy - the only way is up now! :)