I hate sticky back plastic!!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bromley mum

I hate sticky back plastic!!

Post by bromley mum »

DD has been asked to cover her books and folders with sticky back plastic. Is there a right and easy way of doing this? I spent ages on it so as not to end up with load of bubbles. Instructions with diagrams will be appreciated!! :)
AlisonR

Re: I hate sticky back plastic!!

Post by AlisonR »

It isn't easy but I tend to cut the plastic to the size of the book plus about an inch all round the edges (just over 2 cm in new money).

Then place the plastic face down on a table or very flat surface and peel just over 1 inch of the backing off along one edge of the plastic (the edge that will be on the right hand side of the front of the book) folding the backing back onto itself, ie away from the edge. Then place the book (closed) on top of the backing so a little bit sticks all down the right hand side of the book. Then I flip the book over so now the plastic backing is on the top side of your package and slowly pull the backing off 1/2 an inch at a time pressing the plastic down as you go along so no bubbles appear. Once you reach the spine, flip the book and repeat the process.

Then I cut triangles of plastic off at each of the four corners and fold the edges in on the right of the front page and left of the back page. Then I cut triangles out at the spine and fold the top and bottom edges in on the front and back pages.

Phew... sounds so easy doesn't it!?

Good luck.
Alison
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

How strict is the 'sticky backed plastic' rule? We got round the problem by going to a stationary shop and buying plastic covers which slipped over the books. My memories of my parent's anguish at trying to get rid of the bubbles when I was at school was too great!

I seem to remember that the main problem was getting covers the right size (Smiths only stock a couple of sizes) but if you put 'plastic book protectors' into your favourite search engine you can order them online.

Edited to add - the covers look quite pricey but you can swap them on to the next book when the first is no long in use!
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Then place the plastic face down on a table or very flat surface and peel just over 1 inch of the backing off along one edge of the plastic (the edge that will be on the right hand side of the front of the book) folding the backing back onto itself, ie away from the edge. Then place the book (closed) on top of the backing so a little bit sticks all down the right hand side of the book. Then I flip the book over so now the plastic backing is on the top side of your package and slowly pull the backing off 1/2 an inch at a time pressing the plastic down as you go along so no bubbles appear. Once you reach the spine, flip the book and repeat the process.

Then I cut triangles of plastic off at each of the four corners and fold the edges in on the right of the front page and left of the back page. Then I cut triangles out at the spine and fold the top and bottom edges in on the front and back pages.

Phew... sounds so easy doesn't it!?
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I admire you for your patience!

You could try bribing doodles to do it for you.
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Inky sits upright in computer chair, throws her arm high in the air and shouts, "Ooooh, pick me, pick me!"

I luuuuuuuuuuuuuurrvvvv sticky-backed plastic, and covering school books!

Can't beat AlisonR for her comprehensive reply, but as you're not too far away from me bromley mum, we could meet up at Bluewater, you could buy me a coffee or three and I'll happily cover all your daughter's books!

:wink:

P.S. If it doesn't have to be the totally clear sticky-backed plastic, B&Q do it in different colours and patterns - heaven!
AlisonR

Post by AlisonR »

Sounds like I've met my match. Shame I don't live closer to Bluewater else we could have had a sticky-backed plastic book backing duel! :shock:

I've seen jazzier coloured sticky backed plastic in WHSmith and Rymans as well but I shall have to look into the designs at B&Q. The jazzy ones are great for covering old washing tablet boxes/tubs, shoe boxes, yogurt pots, etc. :) An old shoe box has now become a new jazzy home for my daughter's littlest pets.

Alison
doodles

Post by doodles »

Oooh I love it - I spent saturday afternoon watching rugby on the telly and covering all of both DS's books with sticky back plastic - wonderful.. I am the Queen of book covering!!!! I know I am sad but I am harmless ..... Honest!! :oops: :lol:

Can't bear book covers - they take away all my fun!

I have to say I don't cut any of the spine triangles or the second edge shaping until I have stuck the first cover down, then got to the middle and then to the other side.

Top Tip 1 - if you do get a crease just press really hard on it and push it away from you and it will often disperse.
Top Tip 2 - fold in edge and top and bottom edges of first cover before peeling back and doing second cover because other wise they have a tendancy to stick together!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

And I thought it was just me who liked covering books!!!

When I was at school my parents made me cover all mine (brown paper/wallpaper in those days!). Now I keep grabbing my kids' books to cover. My 14 year old (not terribly cool to have all your books neatly covered at that age :roll: ) complains because I sneak into her room when she is out and cover them :oops: I keep asking my yr 7 if they are sure they don't have any more that need covering...

I get quite disappointed when they brin home textbooks that already have covers on them and have even taken to covering my primary school age child's homework books!

Is there help out there? Anyone would think I have nothing better to do with my time :lol: :lol: :lol:

(And by the way, I do one side and then the other as the front and back bits tend to stick together if not).
scary mum
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Oh dear, I am feeling rather scared reading all this, sound's fat too complicated :oops: :lol: Midget has been asked to cover his book's so that's what I am off to buy today. Think I may have to practise on some scrap books at home first!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Top Tip 3 make sure you close the book before doing the second side or your book will be forever open! Also buy the sticky plastic which says it is repostionable - it doesn't leave excercise books unscathed but you can move it around on text books - the other stuff is the thing of nightmares :?
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now