Child Benefit to be scrapped for higher earners

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

turtleglos

Re: Child Benefit to be scrapped for higher earners

Post by turtleglos »

Living in a household where both parents work(over 70hrs between us) and still have a gross income of about 23k a year, I fail to see what the fuss is about. We still have to pay for childcare etc as well as everything our dcs need. I would love to earn enough for this to be a problem!
Surely people who are intelligent enough to be in a bracket that earns this much can understand the fact that the country is broke and cannot afford to subsidise our lifestyles any more. Imho we should be trying to think more about our dcs future and making this country a better place to live than the me me me attitude that seems to prevail today.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
SSM

Post by SSM »

It be interesting to see what the Lib Dems react to this.
Since it is meant to be a coalition.
SSM

Post by SSM »

turtleglos, my problem is not so much that they are getting rid of it, but the fact that if the income is split over two eaners then they can in effect earn almost twice as much before they lose the benefit.

Why should it be that if one earner get £45k and another £15K lose out when but if they each get £30k then they don't.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

SSM wrote:turtleglos, my problem is not so much that they are getting rid of it, but the fact that if the income is split over two eaners then they can in effect earn almost twice as much before they lose the benefit.
+1
ausvic

Post by ausvic »

kentsussexborder wrote:I have decided that the only thing to do is get divorced, make DH live in the outhouse and get him a new postal address. Then we could keep the child benefit. :)
Like your thinking :lol:
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Well, another £200 a month I can't spend on supporting the economy...
doodles

Post by doodles »

I'm with you KSB - DH going to paint the shed this weekend!
turtleglos wrote:Living in a household where both parents work(over 70hrs between us) and still have a gross income of about 23k a year, I fail to see what the fuss is about. We still have to pay for childcare etc as well as everything our dcs need. I would love to earn enough for this to be a problem!
Surely people who are intelligent enough to be in a bracket that earns this much can understand the fact that the country is broke and cannot afford to subsidise our lifestyles any more. Imho we should be trying to think more about our dcs future and making this country a better place to live than the me me me attitude that seems to prevail today.
Turtleglos what people are taking exception to and making a fuss about is the stupid way in which the cut is being applied. Two households with identical incomes and one will lose the child benefit and the other won't. All because the govt can't be bothered to do the job properly.
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

Just before people take umbrage at our 'outhouse' (thinking it sounds a bit grand) - it's a Victorian wash-house, covered in ivy, with a mud floor, leaky roof and walls that could easily fall outwards at any point in time (only held in place by the ivy). At the moment it's used as a garden shed. However, it does still have the old chimney, fire place, copper and sink in it so if DH doesn't take kindly to be domiciled there, I could always take in your washing to make up for the loss of the CB!

BTW - this is tongue in cheek. I do appreciate that people who work very hard for little money are deserving of CB, tax credits or any other help which is available. However I do object, like most on here, to the fact that it is not an equal situation as currently devised by the 'good' George Osborne.
Last edited by kentsussexborder on Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

I am, I have to say, relieved at todays news that we won't be affected but that doesn't mean to say I agree with how it is proposed to be rolled out. DH and I both work full time, would like not to have to but neither of us earn any where near the £44k cut off. We do earn way above it adding our salaries together but like all of you we actually would struggle with the withdrawal of this benefit. Having a phased in approach gives time for changes and I suspect it will not happen as today seems to suggest it will, but there will be tweaks to the proposal before it is implemented.

I told DH if this happens I am going on a protest march, anyone care to join me???

(OT - We don't qualify for our DC to get EMA, which annoys the **** out of me as my DS has to work to earn some cash as we simply can't afford to support him and yet he has friends who get £30.00 a week and have a social life he doesn't get time for.)

Earnings are always a hot topic!!!
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Aren`t they just :shock:

We are affected, I gave up work to look after the kids recently ( do work the occ.locum) and OH has just had a payrise that takes him over the cut off by about 50p.
As I don`t work, the CB goes into my account and use it to pay for school clubs, lunches and stuff whilst OH is away....I`m going to miss having it to fall back on.

My neighbour and I have just had a chat...they don`t lose theirs, they both earn over 40k though.....she thinks its horrendous.....

I`m up for a march T12ACEY....i need the excercise.... :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now