11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
wonderwoman

Re: Interesting article re parental pressure on clever child

Post by wonderwoman »

Well of course I could be blissfully oblivious
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Well, Prof Freeman will no doubt be giving her years of expertise tonight. :roll: Can you tell I'm not her No.1 Fan! :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Looking forward to it.

Can't be doing with rudeness whatever a child's intelligence levels. Don't they say manners maketh man.

Rant over. Just waiting for it to start having to watch Hugh F-W wandering around in his dressing gown while I wait!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

doodles wrote: Can't be doing with rudeness whatever a child's intelligence levels. Don't they say manners maketh man.

absolutely!
Waiting_For_Godot

Interesting, Prof Freeman told me that gifted children would be fine in any state school but seems to have said the opposite tonight!

Two of the new families were lovely.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Thought it was very sad that one of the new families seemed to be concentrating only on English, the Sciences and Maths and seemed to have no room for History, Geography, Languages etc.
moved

Post by moved »

I have always felt that the best way to challenge the bright is to give them a breadth of subjects and interests. How broad rather than how high has always seemed better.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Can IQ be improved though as that Dad suggested? I met a dad a while ago who has twins and he claims they arent geniuses at all, just hard working kids who thrieve on competition.

I felt sorry for the kids from the family whose boys didnt seem to have a life. If he was raving so much about how good our state system is why was he doing all that work with his boys?

I liked the Chinese girl, I can see her being a successful film Director already.
Impossible is Nothing.
Waiting_For_Godot

I have a theory :lol: that IQ can actually diminish with age. DC pre-reception age used to sit glued to wildlife docs, scrapheap challenge, gardeners world (used to bore me to tears) and his knowledge in these subjects for his age was pretty amazing. He now only shows interest in pc games :roll: and couldn't remember half the stuff he knew before the age of 5. So if he were to sit that IQ test now I wouldn't be surprised if he got a lower score as many of the questions were vocabulary and fact based. In saying that he has had similar scores to computerised IQ tests at senior schools so I may be talking rubbish, but he certainly only seems above average now, rather than very gifted.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

I saw this programme, thought it rather uninteresting - the most interesting children from last time were missing :lol: . But it did seem to back up WFG's theory. The children who, judging from last time, might possibly have been heading for "genius" status were actually turning out to be quite normal.

Seems to me that if children are reared in a particular way and with a particular intensity then they can, whilst young, gain hugely against their peers, but ultimately as they grow their intelligence is constrained by their human nature, and others of equal intelligence can catch up.
Loopy
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now