Receipe Quickly Please

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

Receipe Quickly Please

Post by doodles »

Help please.

I need to do a Dauphinoise for supper party tonight - I know it's double cream but for the life of me I can't remember what else (except potatoes :lol: ) Everything else prepared and DH about to go out for wine and I want him to get whatever I need.

Thanks
gloucestermum

Re: Receipe Quickly Please

Post by gloucestermum »

doodles

Post by doodles »

Thank you Gloucestermum. Just what I needed but couldn't find it online and I can't find my Delia book.

Love Delia. It's from her that I have devised the easiest ever supper party menu that gets rolled out at this time of year EVERY year!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

doodles wrote:the easiest ever supper party menu that gets rolled out at this time of year EVERY year!
I tend to come up with most complex recipes I can when inviting people round (which isn't very often). A chance to show off!

My favourite is the Terre a Terre book from the Brighton restaurant. The pickled-in-vodka tomatoes were great, though the chemist in Boots was quite dubious when I went in asking to buy a small syringe & needles.
Soft buttermilk soaked halloumi dipped in chip shop batter, served with vodka-spiked preserved plum tomatoes, bright fresh pea mint hash with pickled quails egg, sea salad tartar and chubby chips, finished with lemony yemeni relish.
. That's one of their easier ones.

Another current fav is a book that takes dishes by famous chefs (the ones who usually only cook meat) and recreates them in vegan; the idea is to irritate the **** out of the likes of Gordon Ramsay, whilst making something that's edible and tastes good. We're not vegan, but making steak & frites from seitan (wheat gluten) is certainly fun, and makes a change from pasta & pesto.
Capers
Milla

Post by Milla »

what was your lamb recipe, Doodles??
Am thinking of getting a couple of new cookery books - Silvena Rowe and Diana Henry. Fancy all that Eastern Med stuff. Anyone got experience of either??
doodles

Post by doodles »

Hi Milla

It is Delia's autumn braised lamb in beaujolais. It's really great and so easy - leaves you lots of time to chat and sup with your guests. I serve it with dauphinoise (hence this thread) and green beans.

The link is:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuis ... olais.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy
Milla

Post by Milla »

yum. Thank you. Very much approve of meals which can be prepared in advance leaving important time when the chums turn up to chat. Shame the next dinner party in the diary has a vegetarian present...
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

My SiL and nephew are veggies......she made the most amazing cannalloni ( sp.) whilst we were away last week......my kids practically inhaled it :shock: :shock:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

That sounds really yummy doodles.

Just one question,

When the time is up, remove the roasting tin from the oven and once again transfer it to direct heat. Carefully remove the foil and baste the meat well with the wine. Spoon the browned vegetables all around in the wine, season them with salt and freshly milled black pepper and pop in the sprigs of thyme and rosemary and the bay leaf. When it has come back to simmering point, replace the foil and cook for a further 1½ hours.

The highlighted bit - is it further cooked on the direct heat or the oven?
Milla

Post by Milla »

One would assume back in the oven. The direct heat being nec to maintain temp when basting.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now