Travel Times To School

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pheasantchick

Travel Times To School

Post by pheasantchick »

Just wondering, on average, how longs children's times are to school, and what time they have to leave home and arrive home. ie. what is considered reasonable, and what is considered unreasonable? Thanks!
SSM

Re: Travel Times To School

Post by SSM »

Mine leave at about 7.25 (to be in school for 8.35ish) and get back at about 4.45 (they get out of school at 3.35), that's door to door. I don't think that's too bad as they are doing the journey with a large number of other children.
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

Mine leaves at 7:50am and arrives at school around 8:40am if the bus is on time.

Coming home finishes school at 3:30ish and is home shortly after 4:30pm.

We're less than four miles from the school, on a direct bus route that drops the children close to the school so an hour actually seems quite a long time, but it's down to timetabling and dreadful traffic problems in TW.
doodles

Post by doodles »

We are roughly the same times as you KSB - he travels 15 miles or so but the bus is pretty direct.

He doesn't seem to mind at all because it is a bit of a social thing being on the bus and he sees lots of friends from school and from other schools too.
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

doodles wrote:We are roughly the same times as you KSB - he travels 15 miles or so but the bus is pretty direct.
I'm amazed that the journey is so quick! Is it a school bus or a general public one? I think our one is so slow because it's just a standard bus route so stops constantly on the way and then gets stuck in the traffic past the rail station and centre of town. With the return journey the bus doesn't come until around 4pm so there's half an hour to visit Bean or the other shops and buy junk food!
doodles

Post by doodles »

KSB have pm'd you. Does seem to good to be true doesn't it but it's working at the moment and long may it last!!
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

I leave home to take DS to the station at around 7.35, he arrives at school (about 20 miles away) by about 8:10 (don't ask, he's always been the same!) taking a fast train. Coming home, he leaves school at about 3:30 and can be in just after 4pm although sometimes as late as 4:30 if the bus is full when it gets to the station and drives past the stop! Interestingly he is home before his brothers who are at our local school (about 4 miles away) which finishes at the same time (they get the public bus which seems to take an age to get them home) :lol:
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Travel is still a bug bear for me and a work in progress as we trial different options. Don't all tell me how terrible I am :oops: as DS really wanted to go to this school and we live in a very rural county where it would be at least 45 minutes on the bus to any grammar school. When I was his age I took two buses each way across Nottingham to get to my grammar school and no one thought anything of it. Initially we intended moving much closer to his school which is around 22 miles away, however we also have to consider DD who is at a wonderful primary.
DS has a lift to school in the mornings leaving home at 7.25 or 7.40 depending on the day and arriving 35 minutes later, then catches the bus home which is an hour's trip by the time I've collected him fro mthe bus stop, but he uses the time to do his homework. I'm still not happy wit hthe idea of him not arriving home until 5pm though and I'm hoping to pick him up once a week. (School finishes at 3.45).
We're still househunting and the idea would be to move at least a few miles closer. :)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

ourmaminhavana wrote:Travel is still a bug bear for me and a work in progress as we trial different options. Don't all tell me how terrible I am :oops: as DS really wanted to go to this school and we live in a very rural county where it would be at least 45 minutes on the bus to any grammar school. When I was his age I took two buses each way across Nottingham to get to my grammar school and no one thought anything of it. Initially we intended moving much closer to his school which is around 22 miles away, however we also have to consider DD who is at a wonderful primary.
DS has a lift to school in the mornings leaving home at 7.25 or 7.40 depending on the day and arriving 35 minutes later, then catches the bus home which is an hour's trip by the time I've collected him fro mthe bus stop, but he uses the time to do his homework. I'm still not happy wit hthe idea of him not arriving home until 5pm though and I'm hoping to pick him up once a week. (School finishes at 3.45).
We're still househunting and the idea would be to move at least a few miles closer. :)
you aren;t terrible!

in rural counties children have to travel long distances to any secondary school. our grammars here have lots of children who travel in from the far flung corners of Romney Marsh ( the ones my daughter and friends referred to as the marsh 'uns) My sister lives in a Worcestershire village, there is a first school (up to yr 5) nearby but middle and high schools are a lot further away and a bus goes round the villages picking children up.
Floss

Post by Floss »

My daughter leaves the house at 8.10 gets bus at 8.15 arrives at school at 8.45 on return journey school finishes at 3.45 and she's home by 4.20 so not too bad really :D