GMT Blues

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Re: GMT Blues

Post by Amber »

According to my mother, who lived through it, during WW2 there was 'double summer time' and it got dark at 11.00 at night (just seen this in your post Snowdrops). It was something to do with not having lights on, which would have made it easier for bombers. After the war lots of people wanted to keep it because it was nice in the evenings. As ever, politicians come along and decide what is best for us all. There has been a fair bit of publicity this week given to the financial savings which could be made if we scrapped it. Apart from Milla, I do not know one single person who likes it: there is another early day motion (not sure if it's that, but it sounds quite apt) coming up in Parliament pretty soon, but they usually fall foul of that talking rule - you know, where politicians talk even more than they usually do to keep something out. I think the stuff about farmers and road accidents is a bandwagon which has just been jumped on later - after all, if it is dark at night there will be more accidents at night, and if it is dark in the mornings there will be more accidents then. But in the latter case, surely people who have just got up are dark-adapted, and also fresher, than those who have been at work all day in a light office and then come out into dusk or darkness.

No chance whatsoever of influencing anyone who matters though, but I feel better for getting it off my chest. :?
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Snowdrops wrote:Permanent summer, 1968–71
In 1968, the clocks went forward as usual in March, but in the autumn, they did not return to Greenwich Mean Time. Britain had entered a three-year experiment, confusingly called British Standard Time, and stayed one hour ahead of Greenwich until 1971.
I remember setting off to catch the bus for school (primary! :wink: ) in the dark mornings. We were all issued with orange and silver fluorescent armbands. I don't recall it being a major inconvenience, though. I think a lot more children made their own way to school at a younger age in those days, compared to the situation today.
Marylou
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Marylou - I'm sure I had those armbands as well!
solimum

Post by solimum »

There is an online campaign on this, even includes a link to email your MP. Can I post the link?

http://www.lighterlater.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amber

Post by Amber »

Thanks...but it still means moving the clocks. I wonder if it would be any better?
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Belinda wrote:DH worked an extra hour last night - none too happy about it either. The train out of the city this morning then took the 'country' route back home with the poor man not climbing into bed until nearly 10am! I'm sure that when he awakes he'll also curse that he's had an hour less sleep. Now, do I cook him a roast or a full English before seeing him off again at 8pm - or is that 9pm?

yes there is always grumbling (rightly so) from those who have to work an extra hour... friend of mine volunteered fro an extra shift and then realised...... trouble is that thoses who worked last night never seem to be the same ones rostered to work when the night is an hour shorter
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Talking of illuminous things, did anyone else get one of those illuminous drawstring bags when they passed their 25m in the 70's,, aaahh happy days .....
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

TIDDLYMUM wrote:Talking of illuminous things, did anyone else get one of those illuminous drawstring bags when they passed their 25m in the 70's,, aaahh happy days .....
YES!!! Mine had a horrid picture on it, though. :? :lol:
Marylou
Milla

Post by Milla »

Amber wrote:Apart from Milla, I do not know one single person who likes it
I don't like it, it's just in a world with so much going on, it's not something I'm going to fuss about. Might be different if I were Belinda's husband, though!