Most Users Ever on Monday November 2nd 2009

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pheasantchick

Most Users Ever on Monday November 2nd 2009

Post by pheasantchick »

Can someone enlighten me as to what caused the most ever users to be on this site a year ago?

I hoped that on the Kent 11+ test result day we would beat it, but we missed it by about 30 users.

What was the big event?
Sally-Anne

Re: Most Users Ever on Monday November 2nd 2009

Post by Sally-Anne »

I don't think anyone really knows, but ForumAdmin commented on it to the Mods at the time.

Looking back, the most likely possibility is that this news story broke that day, about parents cheating to get school places: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8334503.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That triggered a reasonably lengthy thread on here, and may have resulted in a lot more people surfing "school places", "11+", "grammar schools", etc. It's possible that, as a result of the story, this site got a mention on a very big website somewhere that day, and that created a surge in traffic.

The numbers for Kent this year were massive though - I was watching them during the day and praying the server would cope!

Edit: Oddly I have just noticed that the most users ever online was at 2.38pm, and the BBC story was posted or updated at 2.36pm, so I am guessing that there was also a lot of Search Bot activity around that time.