Does G&T indicate Grammar School type of student

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Looking for help

Re: Does G&T indicate Grammar School type of student

Post by Looking for help »

I think if you remember that Grammar Schools were set up to benefit academically around the top third of pupils, the G&T register in any primary school which is non selective and identifies the top 10% should be representative of children with GS ability.

However in areas where there are superselectives this will definitely not be the case :roll:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The one to one tuition scheme was intended to help those children in the middle who would benefit from the one to one to just bring out that little bit extra and to boost their confidence ( and the school's league table results ? :wink: ) just the sort of thing that a parent might hire a private one to one tutor to do in fact,
Amber

Post by Amber »

If this is the same 1-1 tuition scheme now in operation, it is used to boost children who are not performing at the level in Maths and/or Literacy which they would be predicted to do, or not making 2 sub-levels of progress on NC targets in a year. I am working with several children in this category, in both primary and secondary schools. Some children are predicted high grades but are slipping; others are below average and not gaining. It is up to the school to identify the children who would most benefit. They are entitled to 10 hours tuition in an academic year and it must be delivered by a qualified teacher.
http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/teachingan ... /onetoone/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I think it is a good one , they are the children that sometimes get overlooked especially in a class where there are lots of demanding children taking up the teache'rs time. Like the fact that it is tailored to that child and not just the usual 'one size fits all' intervention like some other "strategies"
Amber

Post by Amber »

Yes yoyo, done properly, it works very well and is effective in raising the performance of the individual. What is more, initial indicators show that this improvement tends to be sustained and to spread outside the areas which were initially addressed (3 specific targets per child). The funding for the scheme is safe until July, and after that...who knows?
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

That would make sense.
Last edited by First-timer on Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sherbetlemon

Post by Sherbetlemon »

My elder daughter had all level 3s at KS1 and all level 5s at KS2 and is doing very well at GS in an area with a relatively small number of grammar places, but was never G&T in a very able primary school year group of fewer than 30 children. Those who were G&T certainly all passed the 11+. I'm sure being on the G&T list is one indicator of possible academic potential, but its significance depends on the strength of the class as a whole.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

tiredmum wrote:At grammar school to be on G&T register does the pupil need to be in top 10% for many/most subjects or can they be G&T at just one subject?
I'd hope they could be classed as G&T in one subject. Being brilliant at maths isn't going to make you G&T in PE or English! But then at Grammar, as most children are pretty bright anyway, I'd expect the teachers to teach to G&T level without thinking about it.
Capers
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The children are on G&T register in separate subjects.
la boume

Post by la boume »

My DS was in G&T just for math, myDD was recognised as "all rounder", but that does not include music or PE. Just math and English, I believe. Altogether there are 8 of them in the year, 2 boys and 2 girls in each class. They've got specially appointed teacher, who does activities with them, non academic but more creative ones.