Tech Advice Please

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: Tech Advice Please

Post by Amber »

Agree with Milla (did I really type that? :wink: ) - John Lewis great and quick and also good for product support if anything goes wrong.

Touch is iPhone without the 'phone, essentially. Problem in our house now is that there are 3 of the things and I can't get an internet signal half the time because 'another device is using your computer's IP address' :evil:

DS2 says the problem with the new Nano is that it 'they have tried to make it more like the Touch but it only does music, and it is too small a screen for it to be used as a touch screen' - and he has weeny little hands so if he thinks it's small, then it's small.
hyder

Post by hyder »

for docking stations try e*** and search under A*g*s clearance shop. Managed to get a Gear4 one for my daughter for about £38. Should have been £90. It takes all types of ipod - lots of adapters for the docking part. It also has detachable speaker section to take elsewhere i.e. garden (battery powered) To be honest the connector is a bit dodgy, but if you are careful it's fine. And for less that £40 it's excellent. Hope this helps
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

We have a similar prob. Ds1 won an ipod touch in a poetry competition earlier in the year and I am fed up of charging it on the computer! With speakers its about the quality of the sound so the higher the wattage the better the sound is when its at a "normal" volume. This means that they can be played loud though! Some speakers will charge your ipod when plugged in and others won't, so look carefully for the right one for you. Apple spkrs can be more expensive than other brands for the same quality as people are happy to pay for the name.
As ds1 is only 10 we are getting him a clock radio with dock as a xmas gift, this should come with the correct attachment for different ipods. Check that the one you buy has this,otherwise contact the manufacturer as they well send you one. :D
Edited to add,try to listen to a few before you make your choice(this may make the assistant hate you, but will mean you know what you are getting),preferably with an ipod(they should be able to demo this in store) or mp3 of your choice.
You dont have to buy it from there,if you have the make and model,check it out online and get the best price you can. :wink: :oops:
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Last year at H*V i got a nano with a free i tunes voucher and a gear 4 dock/didgi radio/alarm. The dock was half price about £40.00 . Its excellent, the only digi radio which works in the house! I am debating an i touch for me or whether to go the whole hog and get an I pad....

Offers on everywhere for freebies with i pods, so shop round...
Freya

Post by Freya »

I love my iPad :oops: If you want to ask anything - fire away!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wyiCN5R/weight.png[/img]
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

I don't have a dock but I purchased a charger 'plug' for my iPod Nano. You can use the same cable that connects to your PC as it has a USB connection into the charger plug unit, and has the advantage of also being able to charge other devices that use a USB cable such as cameras or other MP3 players. I can even charge my phone using it. Cost about a tenner I think.
Floss

Post by Floss »

Freya wrote:I love my iPad :oops: If you want to ask anything - fire away!

I LOVE my iPad as well :D although we have 2 iPod touches in the house we all argue over whos turn it is to go on the iPad
Amber

Post by Amber »

Floss wrote:
Freya wrote:I love my iPad :oops: If you want to ask anything - fire away!

I LOVE my iPad as well :D although we have 2 iPod touches in the house we all argue over whos turn it is to go on the iPad
Do you have an iMac? That is the next step; and you will find it hard to leave the house. The magic mouse, the perfectly configured wireless keyboard...hah, bliss.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Amber wrote:
Do you have an iMac? That is the next step; and you will find it hard to leave the house. The magic mouse, the perfectly configured wireless keyboard...hah, bliss.
I only have an iRon unfortunately.....
Freya

Post by Freya »

DH has the iRon with the iShirts app. I find it is technologically incompatible with the iPad so I leave it well alone!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wyiCN5R/weight.png[/img]
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now