Am I just being tight, or is this very expensive?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jingle

Am I just being tight, or is this very expensive?

Post by jingle »

Hi everyone
Have just been presented with a residential school trip for my yr 7 son for next year.The price for this w/e trip to France is £340 !!!. Three night stay with activities,food,travel included. Please be honest and tell me if this seems about right, because I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the price! I am notorious for being 'careful' with money but have (fairly) happily coughed up for such things in the past without gasping in horror as I did at this.
Son really wants to go and luckily I can afford it but does it seem a bit pricey to anyone else, or am I just behind the times regarding the cost of such things?
rubyhettybetty

Re: Am I just being tight, or is this very expensive?

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Suppose it is a bit spendy, my friend's son is doing 5 days in France for £250.

We however are going a mile from school (parents will drop off I am imagining) and it's £150 for 2 nights which I also thought was steep!
Milla

Post by Milla »

it's the endless insurance and having to fund the teachers' costs which jacks it up so. And coaches are very expensive. Soon adds up sadly.
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

DS just had 3 days in Norfolk for £180. Perhaps going 'abroad' puts the cost up?
jingle

Post by jingle »

Thank you for the replies, really helpful to have some comparisons. Last trip was year 6 which was about £180 for 5 days (although not abroad) Hence the shock :shock: !
I had also not considered insurance,coach costs,teachers etc. Looks like my new lounge carpet must stay imaginary for the time being (Sigh)
emsy

Post by emsy »

In my daughter's school three Y7 classes do French and three do Spanish. Last year the French classes had 2 nights in France (coach and Ferry) for about £190 and the Spanish classes had 3 nights in Spain (flights) for £475. I was glad my daughter did French!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

My dd has a week in France next summer, the cost being £375 (or thereabouts, I have paid two small deposits and the outstanding balance is £320, so I'm guessing it's around that mark) to include entrance fees, meals, travel (from North Yorkshire) - only extras are personal spending money.
marigold

Post by marigold »

The son of a good friend does Spanish at a Grammar school, the Spanish exchange was to Chile! She didn't even bother to find out the cost, just said NO.
solimum

Post by solimum »

My DD has five nights in Germany (this is a sixth form trip so fewer staff needed) next Feb, including flights, coach to airport, half board & excursions for £450 which I think is quite reasonable. Cheaper than last year's Iceland geography trip (I wanted to go too but they didn't need any extra helpers....)

(I would have said Yes to Chile, definitely on my wish list - Mountains, glaciers, alpacas, red wine...)
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

That's cheap compared to the one we've just been sent - 8 days for £1350!!! It's just over a year away so that we can start saving now - not. We dont even spend that on a family holiday, so I'm afraid we'll be giving it a miss.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now