Growing pains ?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hope

Re: Growing pains ?

Post by Hope »

Hi

My son used to suffer from painful heels, we were referred to a podiatrist who assessed his walking and decided as herman says that his bones were growing quicker than is muscles which was in turn causing a problem in his heels. She gave him some exercises to do every night to stretch his hamstrings and that really did help. He was only about 8 and initially I thought he was moaning so that I wouldn't make him walk anywhere, I felt awful when the podiatrist explained how painful it could be!
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

He said that it was reasonably common in young boys and that he would grow out of it. The pain always seemed to come after a match and DS would also hobble off the field. We found that sport played on a hard surface (astro particularly) caused the greatest problem.
Yes, and yes, Freya. This is all well researched and documented to be honest, and has increased as a problem as astroturf has become more prevalent. Growing pains are self-limiting but shouldn’t be ignored. I would hope that at the level of rugby your DS plays, he is getting good advice.

I’m glad to hear that so many people have had better feedback from their doctors than logic has.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

DS plays an awful lot of cricket.He complained of very sore knees,especially after 40 overs in the field! the doctor was very good,referred him immediately to a physiotherapist.

He was told that the pain was due to the muscles and bones not growing at the same speed,and has to do sets of exercises twice a day for the foresseable future.There has been an improvement since he started them.I would say that you need a second opinion from your doctor!

GM
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Thank you everybody for your replies.

It was a year or so ago when I mentioned it to the doctor, we try to avoid going ( sorry Herman) and the kids have only been half a dozen times each in their life. ( I hope I'm not tempting fate !)

Ironically our doctor suggested he does more sport to help combat the problem. I think she was also referring to the fact that he has peculiar feet ! His middle toes on both feet curl toward the big toe and if straight would be longer than the others, except his enormous big toes ! And the back of his heels have quite pronounced spurs on them. It's why I've always been so carefull with his footwear. He also walks with his feet pointing inwards and I wonder if this may have made the problems worse. But there's only so many times you can nag him to point his feet forward!

Because he's quite tall he also quite clumsy, sadly not a natural athelete, but enjoys his sport. Now he's feeling quite nervous about the next football match because he doesn't want to let his team down. So I think perhaps you are right another trip to the doctors (gulp ) might be the best thing to do. I might try to see a different doctor at the practice, not expecting a cure but any specific excercises he could do would be a help.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

hermanmunster wrote:yes the insoles, trainers and no bear feet regime can help.

It's this which makes them grrrrrrowl :lol: :lol: :lol:
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

DD was at the doctors yesterday after weeks of complaining(wow, that makes me sound like a caring parent) of sore legs and was diagnosed with hypermobility. She's been given exercises to do and, if there's no improvement in a few weeks, physiotherapy
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Hypermobility ? I've never heard of that. I hope the excercises work for her.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

My son had similar problems with painful feet, particularly the heels, a few months ago. We went to our GP who referred him to a podiatrist. He was fitted with insoles and now has no foot pain at all (hope I'm not tempting fate saying this!) I would ask your GP to refer you to a podiatrist. They are much more knowledgeable than a general doctor. Hope this helps.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Hypermobility is the reason we were given for DD's repeated bone fractures. I think maybe they don't like using the word 'clumsiness'.
Milla

Post by Milla »

oh poor boy, I do feel for him, it sounds awful! So the opposite of what we've had (14 year old who is thrilled to be finally 5'1.5" and 11 year old (12 in a week) who lurks about 4" smaller. Despite their pain, I would be thrilled for growing pains. Need reassurance that it's "normal" to be a tiddler at this stage... :( (I'm 5'6" and so I'm banking on them being taller than me but my dad and brother are each well in excess of 6'2" so I'm still hoping for more!)
Hope your boy is out of pain soon!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now