Michael morpurgo

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mad?

Re: Michael morpurgo

Post by mad? »

JaneEyre wrote:Has anybody seen this play?
Yes, can highly recommend it, absolutely brilliant. Google for ticket offers though as it sells out fast and costs a bomb!
mad?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Maurice Gleitzman has done a whole series of books and my DS loved them all. There are some quite "gritty" topics so you may like to read/review before hand but he really enjoyed them.
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

JaneEyre wrote:I have read also that Stephen Spielberg has bought the rights to transform this book into a film... We'll have to wait a bit to see his film but that might be great! :)
Yes - they are filming local to me on a disused airfield so it shouldnt be too long before it comes out.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

rosered100 wrote: Yes - they are filming local to me on a disused airfield so it shouldnt be too long before it comes out.
GREAAAAAAAT !! :D :D
Thanks for the info :wink:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

mad? wrote:
JaneEyre wrote:Has anybody seen this play?
Yes, can highly recommend it, absolutely brilliant. Google for ticket offers though as it sells out fast and costs a bomb!

We're booked in to see it in February - been meaning to go for years, but kept putting it off because of the price (don't forget we need to add an overnight hotel to the price too - but we've booked 5 nights this time, well, got to visit London now and then haven't you!).

The play will be going on tour at some point, but I seem to remember it will be going to New York first, this could be to co-incide with the film that's been made based on the play. I've seen the clips on tv of the horse puppets and can't wait to see them on stage, I doubt very much the film will be able to recreate the atmosphere of the theatre, it just won't be the same.

Anyhow, anyone wanting to see it will no doubt be able to see the film - eventually!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

JaneEyre wrote: Has anybody seen this play?
Met Morpurgo in August and he said while the play is great, the story had to be ammended to suit the play. My feeling from what he said was it wasnt exactly how he would have wanted it. We were hoping to see it too but his review kind of put me off it, I am sure its great watching but not exactly what the man wanted to reflect.

His views are perhaps typical of most authors when books are turned into film.

Morpurgo transformed my daughter's reading, she wouldnt touch any book but after discovering him the rest is history :D. The challenge is to find another author she like too. She tried Geraldine Mccaughrean but she only liked one book. Is the fire eaters by David Almond a boyish book?
Impossible is Nothing.
mad?

Post by mad? »

sherry_d wrote: Morpurgo transformed my daughter's reading,
Mine too, every time she is ill she takes a box set of him to bed and hibernates...
mad?
Milla

Post by Milla »

well I came back on as suddenly remembered David Almond, Sherry. Also Louis Sacher (Holes etc) and Sharon Creech. Then there's Frank Cottrell Boyce (millions, framed etc) or give some oldies a go - Stig of the Dump, Noel Streatfield or Pamela Brown (bit girly these 2, but fab), Edward Elgar (often deals available on Book People), Roald Dahl's autobiogs, Joseph Delaney (spooks series). Er, will pop back when think of more. And meant to correct self - Morris Gleitzman, not Maurice.
moved

Post by moved »

sherry_d wrote: Is the fire eaters by David Almond a boyish book?
Neither of mine liked it, although both love Skellig. I haven't read Fire Eaters so do not know why.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Have to say that neither of mine have ever liked Morpurgo at all. Perhaps they are odd :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now