Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rachag

Nibbles with drinks

Post by rachag »

Savoury please.
What have you found goes down well?
Otherwise I fear I will just do doritoes!
Not planning on using plates.
Thanks for ideas.
Snowdrops

Re: Nibbles with drinks

Post by Snowdrops »

A nice website full of interesting savory nibble ideas:

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipes/tag-271 ... bbles.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mad?

Post by mad? »

Nigella's sticky ribs...easy because they are in the oven for 1.5 hours so no need for you to do anything, otherwise/also her pea and garlic topping on crostini and roast pepper with tapenade/fresh pesto likewise. Blinis with smoked mackerel and horseradish and/or smoked salmon with lemon or dill and mustard sauce. All can be done in advance really. Pigs in blankets on rosemary skewers with mustard and creme fraiche dip. I once did Nigella's wasabi crab cakes as well but it cost me a fortune and I did not appreciate having to fry food whilst everyone else was having fun! This year I am also doing baby new pots baked in olive oil and rock salt with creme fraiche or sour cream and chives. None of the above need anything other than the odd small napkin.
mad?
mad?

Post by mad? »

...on a roll now...I have also done ricotta and fig or roast pepper wrapped in parma or serrano ham with rocket or basil with great success. Not cheap if you are doing lare numbers though...
mad?
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Devilled eggs always go down well with my lot and mini samosas or spring rolls are easy to eat with fingers too.
marigold

Post by marigold »

My Mum always used to do Ritz crackers with a dollop of primula cheese spread topped with half an olive.

I like to think I am more sophisticated..

Mini sausages covered in honey and whole grain mustard before cooking, mini blinis with sour cream and fake caviar, homemade cheese straws- roll out puff pastry, cover with strong cheddar fold over and roll out again. Cut into straws, cover with an egg wash and sesame seeds, bake until golden.

If you google Nigella or Delia they have loads of ideas for nibbles, just depends on how much energy you have or how posh your guests are.

I believe mad? is the queen of Christmas drinks, perhaps she will be along soon with some other mouthwatering ideas.

Golly, that was quick, she was there before I managed to post!
mad?

Post by mad? »

marigold wrote: I believe mad? is the queen of Christmas drinks, perhaps she will be along soon with some other mouthwatering ideas.
Golly, that was quick, she was there before I managed to post!
HA! I had the most delightful blinis with egg on top one New Years Eve and it was this that inspired me! :D
mad?
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Baby sausages in vast quantities ( I mean cocktail sausages, not sausages made from babies :oops: )

Another favourite is to buy 2 little gem lettuces, break into individual leaves, and onto each one, spoon a dollop of shop-bought prawn cocktail or prawn mayo. Looks great on a serving plate and can be snaffled in one bite!

Here's a pic , these have been done with noodles too, but gives an idea-

P.S. Are we all invited?
mad?

Post by mad? »

indeed...little gem leaves stuffed with whatever condiments you have in half jars in the door your fridge plus a prawn or a bit of chicken is quick and easy and gives the fridge a good clear out!
mad?
rachag

Post by rachag »

Thank you all v much.
I am sad to say that primula and ritz had featured in my ideas which is why I had to ask!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now