Whats happening?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Milla

Re: Whats happening?

Post by Milla »

apart from the font across the top for "forums" etc, mine looks exactly the same, but my favourites are set to come into the 11+ site on the forums page, rather than home, so maybe that could help??
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

No, that's where mine brings me in so it's not that.

Nice to see someone's rewritten the Birmingham information, I was wondering whether I'd find time to offer to do that but I don't need to bother now :D !

Mike
Website Editor

Post by Website Editor »

Hi Mike

Indeed - all the regional pages contain the latest information available and they will be kept up to date from now on.

The eagle eyed will also spot that every region is now included, as are all 164 grammar schools, where the old site featured only the largest 11+ areas.
Website Editor
ElevenPlusExams
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

I tried to email you but the email could not be delivered and bounced back. What I had written was
Dear Editor,

I think I have spotted an error on the school's page. The date of the Newstead Test is wrong. The date given is Sat 13th Nov 2011. Firstly, 13th Nov 2011 is not a sat and secondly, I donot think the date for the test in 2011 has been announced yet. There certainly isn't anything on the school's web site.
Glparent

Post by Glparent »

Bizarre - it's wider again! No white bars down the edge ...... or is it just me?? Loving the rest of the new look though :)
greenvallley

Post by greenvallley »

Can we have a section on "Our 11+ journey" so that we can blog on our experiences and future parents can have insight on the different experiences; highs and lows from parents at varying stages of the 11+,it can include blogs before and after the exams.
Website Editor

Post by Website Editor »

Thank you for the comments - replies to each of you as follows.
bromley mum wrote:I tried to email you but the email could not be delivered and bounced back. What I had written was
Dear Editor,

I think I have spotted an error on the school's page. The date of the Newstead Test is wrong. The date given is Sat 13th Nov 2011. Firstly, 13th Nov 2011 is not a sat and secondly, I donot think the date for the test in 2011 has been announced yet. There certainly isn't anything on the school's web site.
Many thanks - it was a slip of the keyboard - the test date for this year was Saturday 13th November 2010. (What a difference a digit makes!) The error has been corrected.

I am sorry that your email bounced back - I have been using the account for some months now with no problems. To repeat my address: editor(at)elevenplusexams.co.uk Please replace (at) with the usual @ symbol. Posting email addresses in full on the internet is never wise and although we have good anti-spam software, I would probably spend a day or two sifting through all the "unwanted stuff" in order to find the messages that matter.
Glparent wrote:Bizarre - it's wider again! No white bars down the edge ...... or is it just me?? Loving the rest of the new look though :)
The technical people have found a workaround. The cause of the problem was that the site had been optimized to allow those with super-widescreens to view it correctly along with the rest of us mere mortals with normal screens and that has now been adjusted. Please do report any continuing issues.

I am very pleased that you like the new look. I was not responsible for it personally but the moment I saw it I really liked it. Very soft and reassuring!
greenvallley wrote:Can we have a section on "Our 11+ journey" so that we can blog on our experiences and future parents can have insight on the different experiences; highs and lows from parents at varying stages of the 11+,it can include blogs before and after the exams.
That is an interesting idea and I will certainly think it through. To some extent I think the forum already serves that purpose, but I feel that some "personal journeys" written up after the event could be very interesting indeed, whether the outcome was successful or not.

Your comments - good or bad - are very welcome, and they will all help us to develop the site further.
Website Editor
ElevenPlusExams
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

I really like the idea of an "our personal journeys" section.
Website Editor

Post by Website Editor »

Muggle wrote:I really like the idea of an "our personal journeys" section.
I do feel it could be interesting, so if anyone has the time or energy to write a sample I would like to look at it.

Ideally it should be a maximum of 1,200 words. That limit is imposed by the number of "scroll-downs" that a user has to make while reading. (There are still a few pages on the site that defy that rule, but we are working to improve them, but we don't want to dessicate the information they contain in the process.)

If anyone would like to be a guinea pig by contributing a trial journey, please post here and I will get back to you.

Many thanks!
Website Editor
ElevenPlusExams
greenvallley

Post by greenvallley »

The personal blog could be done in 2 ways:-

1. As a separate heading in the forum section and those who contribute can do so and state their region in the subject title( my preference)

2. In members personal profile; just as we use that facility we can PM people, we could click another icon to read their blog.

The blog can be a live facility: members can write the initial statement and update it as they go along for each week/month/quarter etc so that its constantly updated.

I am happy to contribute a sample in January after the exams are over and I can spend some time on it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now