Can I dare use the A word?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bromley mum

Re: Can I dare use the A word?

Post by bromley mum »

Wasn't it one of the Chappell brothers who had used an aluminium bat once?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

DH says it was Dennis Lillee.

In the 70's DH, as a schoolboy in Australia, got a Gray Nichols 'Ian Chappell' model cricket bat.

Last year at Lords he got Ian Chappell to personally sign it (probably the only bat in the world that still exists). Wasim Akram was there too and wholly amused when my DH produced said bat for an autograph saying 'Ian, I got your old bat'.... Ian Chappell thought it was his 'own' bat from long ago. Senility creeping in with all three I think!
doodles

Post by doodles »

DH staying up too late every night that it's on. Snoozing in the chair and then trying to deny it saying he is watching :lol: It's just age catching up :lol: We then have to watch it again with breakfast. Obsessed is the word :lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

1993 I watched a "re run" of the centenary test between Aus and Eng at Trent Bridge - great fun with Greg, Trevor and Ian Chappell, "Chilly" Olds (limping very early), Derek randall (Bowling with orange ball), Keith Fletcher (out very quickly - think he was a selector at the time), Jeff Thomson (bowled a couple of times then pulled a muscle)

All players were "getting on" in years - so young runners and 12th men were in abundance ....

Have found the teams :

Of the England side, only Tony Greig, Alan Knott and Bob Willis could not accept their invitations. But Bob Woolmer, Mike Brearley, Derek Underwood, Dennis Amiss, Keith Fletcher, Chris Old and John Lever will line up alongside Randall. Mike Hendrick, Bob Taylor and David Bairstow fill the gaps.

The Australian originals - Greg Chappell, David Hookes, Gary Gilmour and Max Walker - are supported by Ian Redpath, Ross Edwards, Trevor Chappell, Ray Bright, Jeff Thomson, Bob Massie and the wicket-keeper Steve Rixon.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Hermanmunster,

You have DH reminiscing…

Bob Massie – 16 wickets at Lords 1972.
Ross Edwards – brilliant cover fielder.
Gary Gilmour – destroyed England in a world cup game.
David Hookes (sadly murdered a few years back) – All the fours off Tony Grieg.

He’s going on and on….

Dennis Amiss pioneered the ‘crash helmet’.
Deadly Derek Underwood medium paced spinner.
John Lever – 100 wickets in a season, most of them bowled.
Keith Fletcher – the Gnome, once caused New Zealand to produce a white hankie!

I’ve sent him away now. :D
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

Belinda wrote:DH says it was Trevor Chappell ordered to do so by his brother Greg and it was an 'international incident'!
You are so right - almost went to war on that one.

Oh, and the easiest way to tell the difference between an Aussie and Kiwi is to ask them to say "fish and chips". One will say "feesh and cheeps" and the other "fush and chups".

Needless to say, after all my years in this country I am now very RP and sound like the Queen.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

friend went to work in NZ and many of the people he met worked as "meat peckers" ... apparently they packed meat..

Sorry KSB - still can't work out which one was which on the Poisson and Fried Potato front?
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

New Zealanders tend to have slightly flatter vowels so "i" sounds as "u" so fish and chips is fush and chups. Or so I'm told.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

So pleased to see this thread-have been so excited by it all and so knackered at work this week after watching. Such a welcome change from last time. I understand Paul Collingwood was diving into puddles on the pitch in his underpants yesterday afternoon!
Go us :D
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Belinda wrote:DH says it was Dennis Lillee.
Your DH is right. Would he happen to know if Chappell was Capt in that particular match? Its all coming back. By the way although I may be tried for treason but I did like Jeff Thompson (more than Lillie, infact). And does anyone know why the Aussies say the score differently to the rest of the world?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now