Michael Morpurgo

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Blitz

Michael Morpurgo

Post by Blitz »

My DC and I love reading Michael Morpugo books. We recently finished War Horse, then watched The Making Of War Horse on TV over Christmas. We all really fancied seeing the stage version but £50 a ticket! That's over £230 for a night out when you reckon in train fares for 4 into London too.

Last night while browsing that last minute website I found 'tickets for a tenner' and noticed that the Greenwich theatre is putting on Private Peaceful on 27-29 January and tickets are only £9 child and £11.50 ad (or £10 through L***Min website- but they allocate you their choice of seat). That's 80 minutes live theatre for less that it costs for an odeon ticket for Gulliver in 3D. I love Private peaceful and think it will be fabulous on stage, but very moving. I booked 4 tickets very quickly and will wait for Steven Spielbergs film version of War Horse in summer or stage version to go on tour.
Pink Fairy

Re: Michael Morpurgo

Post by Pink Fairy »

I have just bought tickets for War Horse £15 for Feb, not the best seats but will still get to see the show. DD loved the book but due to her age I am worried that the show may be a bit too much so, I didn't want to pay top price for tickets in case we have to leave. You may need to change the dates/times to get the cheaper tickets maybe.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Well, I have to put my hand up to paying the £50 for tickets in February half term (+ hotel + train tickets :shock: :shock: ). We are in prime seats and looking forward to it immensely.

Now, whilst the film will undoubtedly be good, I don't think it will be a patch on the play - the whole thing's about the magic of pupetry and the sense of 'being there'.

I also have to admit to being a World War One buff :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't wait!
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

We all went over xmas and it was fab! Our tickets were in the stalls slightly off to the side for £25 and we had a great view. What i will say is that because of the way the theatre is set i dont think any seats would be too dis-advantaged so if you see some of the £15 to £25 tickets go for it - well worth it - though you do need to search around for them. BTW-pink fairy- dd2 is 12 and was fine with the emotional side of it - how old is your dd

Interesting to hear about Private Peaceful. My dd loved that book so will try and book - thanks for posting
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

The Making of War Horse was fascinating. The animals were so realistic and the puppeteers superb.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Not sure we like Michael Morpugo- he's a bit one message
marigold

Post by marigold »

A bit like some forum members then...
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

ooooooh, harsh :lol: :lol: :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Neither of my DS's like his books but loved the programme about making Warhorse so we may well go and see it.

It's his style of writing that they are not keen on - but hey at least they have an opinion about what they like to read and we can't all like the same things...............

In Yr 6 DS1 told the English teacher that he didn't like a book (can't remember which one) and she was excellent with him, none of this "I told you to read it so you will read it attitude". She made him explain to her why he didn't like it and put his case to her. After he had given his reasons he was able to move onto another book.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

My younger DS read 'Lucky' to me, about a boy in a coma. I must admit, I did think the story topic was a bit strange, hence I made sure it was read aloud to me incase my DS had an questions about the subject. However, it was well written and made me cry at the end.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now