BCG

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ally

BCG

Post by Ally »

DS came home from school with info on the BCG yesterday. I understand that now they only give the BCG to those at risk. Don't really want DS to have the injection as I remember it was horrible , but he'll have to have it if he needs it/ at risk

One of the at risk groups : is if you lived for a period of 3 months or more outside the UK or Western Europe

We moved to the US for a year when DS was 18months.

The school nurse hasn't been very helpful and I haven't found any useful info on the web yet. Does anyone have any experience of living the US and then returning to the UK ? Did your DC's need the BCG.

Thanks Ally
hermanmunster

Re: BCG

Post by hermanmunster »

At work at the mo .... but don't think the US would really be included in the list. Tends to be a blanket thing without identifying the main at risk countries. The US tend to treat TB and prevention differently - no BCG - just early treatment of mildly positive heafs.

Will check after surgery and see if i can find some more info!

edit: cut off for a country to be high risk is 40 cases / 100,000 per year....... watch this space
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Rate in USA well below the cut off rate:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtm ... 2.htm#fig2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

have a read of this

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/BCG-Immunisation.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ally

Post by Ally »

Thanks
andyb

Post by andyb »

DS2 brought a similar letter home from school recently but it listed "high risk" countries on the back - mostly Africa & Asia, but some in Europe close to borders with Asia and Africa. I don't recall USA being on it.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

andyb wrote:DS2 brought a similar letter home from school recently but it listed "high risk" countries on the back - mostly Africa & Asia, but some in Europe close to borders with Asia and Africa. I don't recall USA being on it.
Andy - I think that is the more usual level - ie the countries with the 40/100000 levels. Ally had a letter with the rather confusing phrase:
One of the at risk groups : is if you lived for a period of 3 months or more outside the UK or Western Europe
Seems to include a multitude of places without high levels!
mad?

Post by mad? »

For some reason I think my DDs had this at birth. We live in a high risk part of the country, but are not in a high risk group. Am I going mad?
mad?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

some kids do have it at birth - not usually just for being in a high risk part of the country - usually need to be in a high risk group, or plans to travel to a high risk place, or likely to have visitors from a high risk place or contacts of case etc

Some stuff in the link:

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/BCG-Immunisation.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mad?

Post by mad? »

thanks herm :D
mad?
marigold

Post by marigold »

My three were all born at Queen Charlotte's, West London.
They were all given BCG at birth because of the proximity to areas with a high risk, eg Southall. Perhaps mad?'s girls were born in a similar area ?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now