pets for allergy sufferer with fear of dead bodies

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

pets for allergy sufferer with fear of dead bodies

Post by mystery »

Much to the disappointment of my children I can't keep small furry animals or cats as I am allergic to them. I think a dog would probably be OK but I don't want all the duties that go with it, or the holiday problems.

Can anyone suggest anything that would be interesting to young primary aged children for a while, that they could do most of the looking after of, that could be easily palmed off on a friend during holidays or weekends, and that preferably doesn't live very long, and when it does turn its toes up I can just look away for a few days until OH gets back from a trip to dispose of it as I'm not a fan of dead animals either (dead insects are fine, anything you can scoop up in a tissue and not feel a body inside the tissue is fine).

So something that will not smell for a few days after death.
Snowdrops

Re: pets for allergy sufferer with fear of dead bodies

Post by Snowdrops »

A wormery.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Sorry, should have posted the link: http://www.spottygreenfrog.co.uk/Life-C ... fAod7Vj_Mw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently it's quite fascintating!

I would like it, no mess :D :D :D
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Well, I was going to suggest a hamster......but thats no good as you will probably " feel the dead body through the tissue " :shock:

I can't think of any animal which wouldn't be a problem when it dies.....my children are quite fascinated by there animals when they die and always like to handle them....so maybe they could pop it in a cardboard box for you ?

Otherwise, I'm thinking fish, stick insects, ants, worms or woodlice ( don't laugh, we always have a woodlice nature tub in the summer ).
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Ant farm?
Or maybe goldfish? Could keep it in water until disposed of. Can't pet either suggestion though.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes I guess you're right that the kids could deal with it; they'd probably want to dissect it too ......... I've been good at not displaying my dislike of such things.

Hamster would be great, but this falls into the category of things I am allergic to unfortunately, as we'd all like one, me included. If I could keep something along these lines outdoors it would be OK, but then you can't really play with it.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

scarlett wrote:don't laugh, we always have a woodlice nature tub in the summer
I'd recommend this one, there's the added advantage that you can always make fish stock from them.

Mike
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh - for next week's paella you mean?

I hadn't thought of something we could eat afterwards.
marigold

Post by marigold »

We had two large African snails which we hatched from some eggs given to us by my husband's secretary. They grew to the size of a satsuma and were mildly entertaining. We kept them in a fish tank and fed them lettuce.

Unfortunately one died because I had put it out for a run in the garden, forgot to bring it in and we had a severe frost. The other seemed to pine away after that. We still have the shells which are very decorative
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Have you reacted to hamsters in the past? I'm very allergic to cats and dogs so have always said no to those but was persuaded to try a hamster and was fine. We've had several over the years, I can even handle them but am careful to wash my hands afterwards. I think the difference is that they don't leave their hairs around the place. Failing that, how about a rabbit or guinea pig in a run outside? The children can still take them out to cuddle them. It's usually better to get two so they don't get lonely. Do you have an animal-loving neighbour who could be persuaded to do the feeding and the "necessary" when the inevitable occurs?

What about a couple of chickens in a small coop? Easy to look after, great entertainment value and neighbours are usually willing to help when you are away, in return for fresh eggs! Still the problem of what to do when the sad day comes - ours always seem to keel over when DH is away.. :roll:

Just read the woodlice suggestion - chickens love these! :)
Marylou