Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scarlett

Re: Who Gets the Best Jobs?

Post by scarlett »

Thanks Loopy.....a bit of light reading ! :D
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

I don't know any dinner ladies, but my hairdresser seems quite content with her lot. Perhaps, as turtleglos alluded to earlier, a problem only arises when people are given unrealistically great expectations which are then unfulfilled, breeding resentment and making for an unhappy and broken society.
Sorry Loopy, I was being sarcastic! I would appear to be one of those lower class,council estate parents misleading my dc's by telling them that they can achieve whatever they wish as long as they are prepared to work at it.
I have to say that I totally disagree with the point that only well off families have bright children. I know many who live near me who are bright,however the local comps don't seem to give them the confidence in their abilities and the knowledge to change their circumstances.
There is more to cleaning well and cutting hair than most people give credit to(hence the filthy hospitals.....don't get me started), why knock these valuable skills?
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Back to the bit regarding aspirations, there always seems to be the inference that it is somehow down to some failing in the careers advice department. I don't recall ever having any career advice at school..that lesson took place at home.
DAC

Post by DAC »

Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and Richard Branson are all un qualified, they went into businesses which value innovation, creativity & vision instead of qualifications.

I think MIT in the USA had to change the way people pass because lots of people drop out of formal education and become very successful.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I go to France and miss Loopy at her finest! :lol:
zorro

Post by zorro »

How is DS doing WFG?(Bet he is having a great time)
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Yes, how IS he doing? You were supposed to report back to us!
marigold

Post by marigold »

My parents went to Iran last year during Ramadan, god knows why. They had a driver to take them to see the ancient sites. He was caught having a crafty fag by the religious police and beaten within an inch of his life. Lovely sounding place.

Oh, and at the airport my mother had to queue for her flight in a completely different place from my Father, in case her ankles aroused anyone I suppose and the women's queue took 2 hours longer.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Marigold :lol: - You make me laugh.Has your mother got nice ankles? - you have a very dead pan delivery.
Iran has a terrible record on human rights.It cannot be held up as any kind of example.I would not want to be a woman living there or a follower of any other religion.

LLL....you puzzle me, as I cannot believe you really mean all you say. If you did, you are prescribing a model for society that borders on oppression. "Don't encourage the poor to have aspirations as they will get all uppity !"

I can't believe you really mean that.
Last edited by Chelmsford mum on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I didn't watch the programme so I'm not really understanding this thread.Surely it didn't imply that if you are poor and live in certain areas, then you will never amount to anything ? :shock: People are people and there will always be those with "get up and go " ,those who are natural geniuses and those with supportive families...and of course those with no aspirations who want to laze around and waste their lives.That applies to people from every different group in society.

Whats wrong with being a dinner lady etc anyway ? Where would we be without them ?!! We all are small cogs in a big machine , you know ! and all as important as each other. :)