Techie advice, please

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sgcmum

Re: Techie advice, please

Post by sgcmum »

hi,
i had the technical support call a couple of years back.realised quite immediately that it was a scam.my father-in-law however,has had his emails,all different i.ds, hacked thrice now.he ended up calling everyone in his contact list and telling them not to open any emails from his i.d -three times.he has yet again changed his email and is hoping it wont happen again.thankfully no financial loss though quite a few of his work colleagues did think he was playing a prank!!

sgcmum
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Along with frequent password changing, one should not save usernames or passwords, or cookies. The control pannel in most browsers will allow clearing of cookies and cashes on exit. An excllent free software program is ccleaner which will do the same job for you. A better option is Tune Up Utillities (not free but an excellent and inexpensive answer to most of Windows shortcomings).

Visit
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanni ... ?task=load" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will analyse your entire system, highlight any vulnerable software and helpfully show how to patch them (download more secure code). Don't use Internet Explorer it is full of vulnerabilities which can be eploited to take control of your computer without your knowledge!
Avast! antivirus (free) has an option to check the system at boot up, before the Operating system is initiated. This is more effective than 'in use' virus checking and more likely to find, remove or disable trogans.
Finally, if you use wireless broadband check the encryption standard for your network connection. WEP is common but is not secure enough. (Remember StreetView?) TKIP WPA-PSK or better is what you should aim for and hide your rooter by not broadcasting its SSID.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Thanks for that, S's D. I can't pretend that I understand everything you advise, but will have another look at this post when we get the laptop back.

The depot for this well-known company is playing silly ******* and we're not the only ones who are unhappy apparently.
welbury

Post by welbury »

Sassie'sDad wrote:Along with frequent password changing, one should not save usernames or passwords, or cookies. The control pannel in most browsers will allow clearing of cookies and cashes on exit. An excllent free software program is ccleaner which will do the same job for you. A better option is Tune Up Utillities (not free but an excellent and inexpensive answer to most of Windows shortcomings).

Visit
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanni ... ?task=load" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will analyse your entire system, highlight any vulnerable software and helpfully show how to patch them (download more secure code). Don't use Internet Explorer it is full of vulnerabilities which can be eploited to take control of your computer without your knowledge!
Avast! antivirus (free) has an option to check the system at boot up, before the Operating system is initiated. This is more effective than 'in use' virus checking and more likely to find, remove or disable trogans.
Finally, if you use wireless broadband check the encryption standard for your network connection. WEP is common but is not secure enough. (Remember StreetView?) TKIP WPA-PSK or better is what you should aim for and hide your rooter by not broadcasting its SSID.
TuneUp isn't really required for improving security nor much else... Older versions of Internet Explorer on older versions of Windows were extremely vulnerable. The latest versions (upgrade to IE 8 if you can) are significantly better, esp on later version of Windows, often than Firefox, Chrome etc http://www.nsslabs.com/assets/summaries ... _FINAL.pdf

Agree re Avast, I use the paid for version. Not the best but good enough, but more threats these days come from elsewhere, cross-site scripting, which antivirus software doesn't help with much etc.

However, most successful security breaches come via social engineering; you need to have your wits about you when opening emails, answering random support phone calls that you didn't initiate. Treat all communication from strangers as exactly that; be suspicious.
Lookinglass

Post by Lookinglass »

Hi

we had a similar problem with a large reputable company last year. Ended up getting a full refund as they returned the computer to us stating it was in good working order and it had no hard drive! Rather than using your voice and screaming down the phone have you tried the rape alarms that go onto key rings for runners & lone females. They work brilliantly and I'm sure they get ringing in their ears for days after....
KS10

Post by KS10 »

OH doesn't do screaming down the phone. It seems that I am the only person who can annoy him. :) Even after failing to deliver for the 5th time, I heard him say to the person on the other end of the phone, "We're a bit nonplussed ...". Not quite how I would have described it; I was thinking of something a bit more alliterative.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

.......and unfortunately its probably your husband who they would take notice of rather than you. My husband is the same....no qualms about ranting at me, but when it comes to everyone else he is worried that he has hurt their feelings :evil:

The company must have a complaints procedure....can't you go down that route then I think they have to sort out the problem within so many days....( at least thats what I was told when I put in a complaint with my insurance company...I know this is probably different :oops: )
KS10

Post by KS10 »

He's on the phone as I type, sounding a tad annoyed. Will definitely go down the complaints route if this does not work.

edited:
OH has asked for it to be logged as a complaint. The manager appears to be taking it very seriously, including the fact that our email has been hacked into while the laptop's been in their possession.
Last edited by KS10 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Just keep droning on about it and hopefully he'll sort it out.....men like an easy life ! :lol:
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Completely forgot to add that, in my experience of sorting out friends computer problems, I have often found they are using accounts which have full Administrative privaledges. This is wrong because it potentially exposes the system files to being changed by a remote user and is harmfull. This is because Windows makes all new accounts with full privaleges and they need to be changed to limited accounts via the user applet in Control Panel.

Take a look at the artical in The Daily Telegraph "eight out of ten browsers are vulnerable to cyber criminals" and try the link to Qualsis which will examin your system and show vulnerabilities and easy means of patching them to make your system secure!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/n ... inals.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now