Valentine's Disco - Should you have a boyfriend in Year 6?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
magwich2

Re: Valentine's Disco - Should you have a boyfriend in Year

Post by magwich2 »

Yes you can.
Statistics show that if both parties to a marriage are in their 30s, come from the same social class, have never been married before and have no offspring from any other "liasions" then their chances of divorcing are less than 1 in 14.
Hope that helps! :D
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Statistics say what you want them to say.I married at 24, have been married for 22 years, still together. My brother and brother in law, exactly the same. Having a silly relationship at 10 because silly parents are encouraging does not lead to teenage pregnancy and divorce later in life. I would also like to say that neither myself, my brother or my sister in law chose spouses from the same social class, and none of us have children from previous relationships. We are also all from Glasgow, if that helps :D
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

LFH - you can no longer lie about your age on this site! We now know you are a 46 year old Glaswegian!
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

maybe I made all that up to confuse :D
doodles

Post by doodles »

Married mid 20's and 20 yrs and 2DS's later we are still married. If you analysed it down to the nth degree we don't appear to have that many shared interests but we are v. happy (well at least I am! :lol: :lol: :lol: ) but we do have the same grounding and the same things are important to us. So here we are ready for the next 20 years.

I think you can read stats to give you the answer you want to a certain extent.
Yurgen

Post by Yurgen »

Wow. I'm amazed to see I'm in such a minority here.

Myself and most of my friends were certainly well down that road by year 6 of primary school, playing spin-the-bottle and stuff after school, and this was in the early 70s. I don't see what's changed. Plenty of kids are feeling the first stirrings of puberty by 11, and anyway even younger kids will naturally imitate the way adults go into 1:1 relationships, the same way they imitate everything else. I think my son's first one was when he was six. Though strangely he seemed to lose all interest a few years later and now has none whatsoever, even though he IS in year 6 of primary school.

I don't see what encouraging them to have opposite-gender friends has to do with it. Since when is having friends and having boyfriends or girlfriends mutually exclusive? Neither myself nor most of the adults I know have a problem with the difference, I don't see why kids would. Throughout secondary school I had loads of girls as friends, most of whom there was never any question of intimacy with at all.

I also don't buy all the stuff about "protecting" them (except in a practical sense of course), or that they don't have the maturity to handle it. Where are they supposed to get the maturity from, if not from experience? To be frank, I think a lot of parents are just really afraid of sex and feel safer imagining their kids are asexual and will always remain that way.

Having said all that, I do think Valentines disco at school is a stupid idea. Mainly because I think Valentines day is a stupid idea. But also, I don't mind the idea of it allowing an expression of pairing up for those that feel that way - but it must in practice go further than that and put pressure on the others, like if you don't have a date for it you've somehow failed. I don't think schools should do anything that makes space for that kind of message.
ausvic

Post by ausvic »

Yurgen, I agree with you entirely :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

I went to a single-sex school from the age of 7, so was "protected"!! But despite no pressure, no examples to follow or envy, I did from a young age (I really can't remember when) rather wish I had a boyfriend. It is not something I would ever have told anyone, particularly not a parent, but looking back I do think it made me feel quite sad in some way. So even if parents think they can bury their child in a single sex school and keep them safely apart from the opposite sex, and even if they succeed in keeping them apart, it cannot eradicate the timewasting thoughts from the child's mind.

Perhaps as Yurgen says we like to think that our children are asexual, or that we can somehow keep them that way, even in their minds. I have had constant reminders from one of my children, from the age of around 2, that they are definitely not asexual. I will spare you the details!!

But having said that, I would not want my children's school to have a Valentine's Disco - at any age. But if they do, you can't blame the school. These things are quite often set up by the PTA and the tickets are printed and distributed without the head being aware of the theme.
Yurgen

Post by Yurgen »

Oh come on, is this site for real?

What I wrote above of course, which turned into this:
To be frank, I think a lot of parents are just really afraid of gender and feel safer imagining their kids are asexual and will always remain that way.
was:

"To be frank, I think a lot of parents are just really afraid of S - E - X and feel safer imagining their kids are asexual and will always remain that that way."

That was S - E - X just in case anyone's still unsure.

:lol:

Intrigued how "asexual" didn't turn into "agenderal" though. :?:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Perhaps you could put some pictures in for extra clarity?