Now, what is everyone up to for Half term ? Ideas needed !!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scarlett

Re: Now, what is everyone up to for Half term ? Ideas needed

Post by scarlett »

A good tip if you want to fill just a couple of hours and not spend a bean...is to visit the local museums.There are 2 near me, and have dressing up sections, dinosaurs, fossils, a mummy and all that sort of thing...they also have special events on for children and are free !!

The best thing is both are in the middle of the town so you can drag your children around the shops for an hour on the premise that if they behave you can visit the museum and then go back afterwards for a nice coffee and cake ! :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

It's a good tip under normal circumstances, but not when you have been dragged to live in the cultural wasteland of the south-east beyond London in a town the size of the car park at Bluewater.

Our museum is one-up, one-down. In its defence, after living here for several years I have now adjusted and it makes an exciting day out.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

mum23* wrote:Snowdrops

Lucky you - Feb half term is perfect for a London trip. Too cold for outdoors all day and so much to do.
The V&A has a great theatre section with fab costumes to dress up in. I took my 3 and their 2 cousins and they spent ages in there. I agree, pick your time and you can avoid the crowds. They were only ones in there for an hour. Also the jewel and stones bit is good & you can design your own rings on a computer etc Good swords and daggers in there too.

I really want to see War Horse, let us know what you thought of it. If you are going to that you could persuade DD to look round the shops in Covent Garden instead of Oxford Street as it is so close and don't forget Patisserie Valerie is almost opposite War Horse...pre or post theatre cake anyone? The War Museum has an exhibition on at the moment of childrens war literature including Michael Morpurgo so that might be good to see. I like the art galleries too and they often have special activities usually free. Have you ever been to the Globe Theatre? I was wondering what it was like? We have never done Tower of London, is it good? Last time I had 5 kids in tow with the cousins and it worked out a fortune for me to take them all there. Might try next time we go though.

Last time I went with the kids I tried buses and walking instead of the underground and it was more fun especially upstairs. My tip is to print out all those restaurant vouchers available online before you go. You save loads and it makes a nice lunchtime treat - we went to Zizzi in Covent Garden and La Strada, there are usually vouchers for Pizza Express, Cafe Rouge etc 2 4 1 on mains that kind of thing.

Have fun :D

Well, I got a free 3 month membership to Taste - a card which gives you 2 for ones and other offers at a multitude of restaurants nationwide (used to be called Taste London).

As we are travelling by train, using a family and friends card, and getting the tickets the moment they were available the cost was £45 return for all of us (and that's from 'up north'!!), it entitles us to 2 for 1's one days out too. We have 2 for 1 on the Tower of Lond, which is exhorbitantly expensive, the last time we went we got in for free as it was participating in World Heritage sites and, as we're English Heritage members we got in for nowt. I refuse to pay full price for it. It's great inside (it really is!, especially if you go with one of the Beefeaters on their tours (expect to hand over a tip at the end though!), and you have to pay extra to go in the jewel tower. Last time OH and I both had 'experiences' there of the 'other kind' shall we say :D You could also apply the word 'spooky' to the experience!

If you look on the 2 for 1 website (called daysoutguide - all one word) there's masses of choice (you choose 3 and print off the vouchers, of course if you have more than one email address .......... :shock: ).
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Mystery....where is the South east -beyond London ?!!!!!! Sometimes I have to read posts quite a few times before I can understand them ! :lol:

I know the free museums are not massively exciting...but days out are so expensive ! I find 60 pounds is needed for most excursions and thats just for the entrance fee....cleverly you always have to depart through the gift shop and the last time I refused to part with any more money ds2 shoplifted a stretchy lizard ( he was only 3 ) .......
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Snowdrops I bow to your bargain gathering!! :D A woman after my own heart indeed. I am definitely going to try the Tower of London and look for those deals you mentioned. Spooky fun! We came to York for a weekend and my DD wanted to go to York Dungeon (is that the right name?) anyway she went in with DH and had to leave early because it was too scary for her!! She was about 9 or 10 then I think. We had a fantastic time in York. (bargain hotel room for 2 nights of course :lol: )

That train fare is great. I once did a trip to London by Mega bus £4 return each and managed to bag a Travelodge Family Room in Covent Garden for £9

Do you have to pay for the Taste thing? I might look into that.
Don't forget to check back with a War Horse review I loved the book. Me and my DS abit weepy!

Oh yes, another good London thing is every August all the big shows do free workshops for kids and free or cheap tickets - look at the Kidsweek website for details. My DD did the Hairspray one - a 60's hair and make up(!) makeover learned a dance from the show, had a tea party and watched the cast warm up all for free in the Shaftesbury Theatre. There are loads to choose from eg puppet making at the Lion King etc you need to book up quickly for the most popular.
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Snowdrops wrote: If you look on the 2 for 1 website (called daysoutguide - all one word) there's masses of choice (you choose 3 and print off the vouchers, of course if you have more than one email address .......... :shock: ).
I'm sure I've printed off more than 3 before using just the one email address.

Does anyone know if the trains are doing the kids go for a £1 again this half term?

My DS has two weeks off for half term so was thinking of perhaps having a day out in London the second week when it will hopefully be less busy.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

mum23* wrote: We came to York for a weekend and my DD wanted to go to York Dungeon (is that the right name?) anyway she went in with DH and had to leave early because it was too scary for her!! She was about 9 or 10 then I think. We had a fantastic time in York. (bargain hotel room for 2 nights of course :lol: )
Yes, it's the York Dungeon (same company as the London Dungeon). It's very good in there isn't it? ..... and realistic as your poor DD found out. York is a great place for visiting (horrid living there in the summer when the tourists are about, I lived there for three years :shock: ).

mum23* wrote: That train fare is great. I once did a trip to London by Mega bus £4 return each and managed to bag a Travelodge Family Room in Covent Garden for £9
To get the very best deals you sign up for an email to give you an alert when the train tickets for your journey are released. This, in conjunction with the family and friends card, gives you great savings :D

mum23* wrote: Do you have to pay for the Taste thing? I might look into that.
Yes, the Taste Card is a membership thing. But, I got it for free. I was alerted to the freebie by Martin's Money Tips website :D Sign up for the emails and get the alerts.

mum23* wrote: Don't forget to check back with a War Horse review I loved the book. Me and my DS abit weepy!
Oh, I will :D :D :D

I forgot to say, also to sign up for Travelodge and PremierInn emails and you get notified of all the bargains (I've had family rooms in Edinburgh and stayed for 4 nights for £30 before now :D :D ).
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh Scarlett, I think most free museum are great these days. Most are much better than a lot of paid for excursions. Our local one does its best ..... but it is extremely small!!
poppit

Post by poppit »

Great tips.

For those interested in exploring York I recommend a charming guidebook called "Walking the Snickelways of York" it contains lots of pen and ink drawings in the style of Wainwright.

The author created the term snickelway by blending snicket - a passageway between walls or fences, ginnel - a narrow passageway between or through buildings, and alleyway - a narrow street or lane.

Armed with the book you will find yourself diving through hole in walls, gaps between buildings, walking along the city walls etc discovering hidden parts of the city and learning a little of its history. It generates a sense of adventure and if your feet get tired you can always take a break in a lovely tea shop.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

As long as you go in the lovely tea shop called 'Betty's' with pots of money - it's very expensive, but very lovely - the loos in these tea shops are out of this world, really they are, they're from the 'roaring twenties' and worth the cost of your 'tea' alone :lol: :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now