can a comp/academy select a % of pupils by ability?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum23*

Re: can a comp/academy select a % of pupils by ability?

Post by mum23* »

aahh yes Herman, I get it but (sorry hope I don't sound too thick here) if comp 1 is the ONLY choice left on your CAF (you dont qualify for the other schools for whatever reason) then surely you get this not comp 2 which is not on your form at all, whereas someone who puts comp 1 comp 2 comp 3 could get any of these, as they qualify for them all and are selected by catchment (and the various allocation criteria you posted above) or as I think is the case in Brighton by lottery.

Thanks for the replies all, I am just interested in clearing it up in my pea sized brain!!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

no it being the only choice left doesn't give you any priority over those with choices remaining. Don't know if you saw a TB prog from birmingham a while ago where people had put down 5 selective school (or however many it is ) and no none selective schools, this was without knowing the exam results..... The LEA were trying to persuade them that they should put a non selective option - but there tends to be a feeling of:

"if I don't put a non selective school then they can't give me on" yes they can
"If I put all GS (or oversub schools or whatever) they will have to give me one" no they won't

so people with just one eligible place are really risking it...
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

so the local authority could allocate a place not on the CAF then? Do you think they would?

Must say there are kids on same street as my nephew who have been allocated his first choice school so they must be in or v. close to catchment, but maybe it is lottery based, I'm not sure. I think my brother will just have to go through the appeals process and see what happens if they feel strongly.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Yes, your local authority CAN offer you a place not on your caf and they WILL do it.

It happened to us :shock: .
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

blimey snowdrops what did you do? gosh I am now doubly hoping DS passes the test in October. I think I have got off lightly (although that said, I will be a blithering wreck come test and results time!)
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Well, we knew the local situation beforehand, so it wasn't too much of a shock.

Our 1st choice was the OOC grammar, followed by the indie.

We eventually got the grammar, but had to pay £4,000 deposit for the indie (which we knowingly lost) and it took a bit over 3 months of waiting and worrying, a lot of planning for an appeal, and a 'phone call about a week before the appeal to say she'd got a place off the waiting list for the grammar :D :D :D :D :D

But I have to say, we were exceedingly lucky it worked out in the end - it doesn't always end happily for everyone.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

gosh that must have been a worrying time. The grammars here do not have a catchment, they just take on the test results from top score down until they are full. Nerves a bit tense at test time but straightforward and you know the result before filling in CAF.

My nephew is a super little boy and he loves acting and dancing. An agent has asked to put him on their books so he is definitely talented and a good dancer too, very agile. The comp he wanted has a dance studio and great drama facilities so would really suit him. Just seems a shame especially as some DCs get allocated that school and would prefer another one.

At least I now understand the CAF form! Thanks guys :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now