What's wrong with some parents these days ?!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Marylou

Re: What's wrong with some parents these days ?!

Post by Marylou »

rachag wrote:What I find particularly irksome is children kicking the back of your seat on aeroplanes! Especially as I have spent so much time hissing, glaring and shouting at my DC to stop them doing it to others. If someone does it to me now though, I tell my (unoffending) children off for doing it in a loud voice and that sometimes works :)
I've been known to do this in the cinema/theatre. Unoffending child sitting next to me is of course complicit and usually grateful as their seat is getting kicked around as well! :lol:
Marylou
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

I`m very intolerant full stop, and I`m afraid I would have stood up and said something to the parents!!!!

As a nurse, I frequently get seriously annoyed with people and their mobile phones.....there is no other reason for not using your mobile phone in a hosptial other than ITS ****** RUDE :evil: :evil: Theres nothing worse than trying to triage someone who answers their phone in the middle of the conversation, there`s nothing worse than some old person having to listen to an inapproriate conversation going on through the curtain. and there really is nothing worse than speaking to a bereaved family when some chav is arguing on his mobile...loudly.

Be afraid if you ever come to my A&E dept :oops: :oops: :oops:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I agree with you ! I've lost count of the amount of times I approach a parent to explain something important about their child and you stand there like a plum waiting for them to turn the phone off and they just carry on ! One rude father even waved me away once ! :shock: I just tell them I'll come back and then leave them waiting for a while.

Then of course you have the teenagers phones ringing at 3 in the morning...and when looking for a plug to insert a ...ooh I don't know.....morphine pump....something important, there are loads of mobiles hanging being charged up !! :evil:
rachag

Post by rachag »

......and what is it with these mothers who dress their children when they are perfectly able to do it themselves??
In cold municipal changing rooms, the childre stand there, graciously lifting an arm occasionally, whilst their mothers, shivering in wet costumes, dress children of 8 and 9! What is going through their minds?
I can see, there may be the odd circ where this is appropriate - child recovering from illness, need to catch a bus, parking about to run out etc but this cannot possibly account for this behaviour most of the time.
mystery

Post by mystery »

It all depends how you measure and define a decline in behaviour and standards.

I taught over 20 years ago in a church comprehensive in a large northern city. It was considered to be in the top 3 comps in that city academically and behaviour-wise.

In the short time that I was there one teacher was hit (they thought it was good that only one teacher had been hit in a long period of time), several children were cautioned by the police in dawn raid to prevent them coming to school with knives and coshes to fight a school over the valley after school, children deliberately farted during Holy Communion, some girls under 16 were involved in prostitution rings, an angelic looking boy went to a secure unit after housebreaking with his father, the smallest boy in the school was dangled by his ankle over the balcony into the school hall etc etc.

We just thought it was all part of the stuff of life. I don't know what these particular children would have been like at the theatre or when out and about with their parents. But certainly when I hear people complaining about bad behaviour of children in comps round here it does not compare - i.e. it all sounds rather trivial - compared with what was considered to be a great comp in a large city all those years ago!!

I went to an independent prep school. Most days at breaktime the same girl had her shins kicked by a group of girls who for no apparent reason did not like her. We were (mostly) well behaved children who did not dream of telling the teacher, and somehow despite breaktime supervision and the very obvious bruises it certainly continued for a while.

I then moved into the senior department of this independent school. A lovely black girl joined the school. She left within a year, looking back I guess, due to racism. Nasty things would be written anonymously about her on the blackboard by other girls.

I think there a lots of different forms of misbehaviour, and the nastiest goes unseen and can often be in apparently well-behaved families that should know better. e.g. making nasty hurtful spiteful comments quietly to another child and enjoying upsetting them. I am hoping that the incidence of this has reduced over the years as teachers now have elements of PSHE etc included in their training, and a lot of schools work quite hard with children to promote children being nice and fair and friendly to one another. I'm certainly not saying this works in all schools and in all cases, but at least it is now seen to be within the domain of a teacher's remit in a way that it was not even in fairly recent decades.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

U400JB9 wrote: Be afraid if you ever come to my A&E dept :oops: :oops: :oops:
I think you and hubby may be colleagues!!

It's not only DC who misbehave, sometimes the parents can do too. I was at my 8 years old's concert the other day. There were all these young girls playing and singing, some for the first time in front of an audience. Gentleman (I use the term loosely!!) sitting in front of me started to take papers out of his case and go trough them, making a lot of noise. I was so irritated but couldn't do anything as he was in front of me. If he had work to do he should have not come or left but to make so much noise when the rest of us were trying to listen to our DDs playing was very rude.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

mystery wrote:It all depends how you measure and define a decline in behaviour and standards

Children deliberately farted during Holy Communion,

That has to be the worst behaviour I've heard of in years.....
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

bromley mum wrote:
U400JB9 wrote: Be afraid if you ever come to my A&E dept :oops: :oops: :oops:
I think you and hubby may be colleagues!!

Hahahaha...only if he drives a long way to work......I think A&E nurses are generally intolerant.....we save our nice side for those who need it.

And going back to the elderly person comments.......I agree the rudest section of the public I deal with are the elderly......which makes me sad. ( incidentally, I suspect i will be a very rude grumpy elderly person :shock: )
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

scarlett wrote:
mystery wrote:It all depends how you measure and define a decline in behaviour and standards

Children deliberately farted during Holy Communion,

That has to be the worst behaviour I've heard of in years.....
My OH ( who went to a strict catholic school ) thinks that is really funny :shock:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

U400JB9 wrote:
( incidentally, I suspect i will be a very rude grumpy elderly person :shock: )

I'm sooooooooo looking forward to being old enough to be grumpy. No, really, I mean it. I want to be able to say what I think and everyone be scared and not say anything back. I've had to hold my tongue for years out of politeness whilst 'old' people thought it appropriate to say exactly what they liked. Well, no more! When I get old enough I shall take the biggest leaf out of their book and take pleasure in it too :D :D :D :D

.......... and what's more I shall go to the theatre/pictures/A&E too :lol: :lol: :lol: there will be lots of glaring/huffing and puffing/direct comments - oh and maybe a bit of far**** too (sorry, I hate that word and cannot bring myself to use it :oops: :lol: ).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now