Junior Doctors-Anyone watching?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hermanmunster

Re: Junior Doctors-Anyone watching?

Post by hermanmunster »

The four year course is done for graduates only - some med schools (boringly :roll: ) want you to have done a science degree, but others don't mind what you have done. medicine is more of an art than a science and if it has to be a science then it is a fuzzy science - so personally I think someone who is inspired by their first degree (whatever it is ) and got a good result in it can manage the academic side
You just need to be able to grasp the logic of science, have a good (actually very good) memory, be able to juggle info, can tolerate pomposity and for some specialties have good dexterity...

They now set tests for medical school entry - the UKCAT and the BMAT - I have had a look at the UKCAT and in some parts I haven't a clue where to start ... I put that down to age :oops:
tiredmumof2

Post by tiredmumof2 »

Clare - I do remember the 90s series - which was fantastic and did really seem to reflect what life was like then as a doctor. Think the students/drs were from St Marys. I also thought the single mother of 4 was amazing - don't know how she did it.

If my DD1 wanted to be a doctor, I would be very pleased. The profession seems to have real purpose to it, unlike some others. Maybe I think that now because I'm getting older and the "meaning of life" has become more important!

It has to be a good thing that there are fewer hours (although doctors still work incredibly hard and long hours) and better supervision and more training than years ago. From what I have seen from the trailers and the few minutes I have watched of this series, the doctors all seem to be very dedicated - and maybe that sort of person is attracted to the profession?

By the way, I can't claim to be an experienced doctor like Herman, because I haven't been in clinical practice for quite some years now....

So there you are - you have a caring daughter!

ps Herman is right - you do need a really good memory - so if she is good at memorising pages of text, she'll be absolutely fine.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I would be quite happy for my kids to be docs but would prefer it if they made the decision after their first degree and not straight from school - so difficult to know what it is really like at that stage.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

I think the old documentary you are referring to was in 1989 and was called 'Doctors to be'. They updated it in 2009 with the series 'Doctors to be, 20 years on' to tell you what they are all doing now. It was a fascinating watch...I'm also enjoying Junior Doctors too and I'm ensuring our bathroom floor is dry so I don't slip on the toilet brush!! Poor chap...I hope he didn't drive himself to hospital!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

To make it worse, it had a hook on the end :shock:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Getting a bit bored of Suzy going on and on about not being taken seriously. If she will wear pink, pink and a bit more pink with a pink stethescope and refuses to be called Dr..... and only Suzy I can't see things changing very fast.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I have to say that if I was run over and I needed a decent doctor I would rather have the clever one with no personal issues and a good set of exam results !
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

True MW - in the olden days (cue violins) - we were too busy working silly hours to be able to have personal issues.. :lol: :lol: plenty of experience though. :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now