Do you let your children read the newspapers ?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scarlett

Do you let your children read the newspapers ?

Post by scarlett »

Ds2 often looks through the newspaper reading anything to do with wildlife, history or quirky stories.....and the last couple of days has been obsessed with reading about the recent events in Japan......tonight I hadn't really checked what was in the paper and although he wasn't upsept with pictures of flattened houses ( I don't think he was really thinking of fatalities ,just fascinated by cars stuck on the tops of trees etc ) he got in a bit of a state about the nuclear aspect of it all and thinks something terrible is going to happen to him now,here.

I feel awful.Do you think I shouldn't have let him read all the nitty gritty ( he's 9 ) or do you think it's ok to know what is going on in the world even if it's not all rosy ?
yoyo123

Re: Do you let your children read the newspapers ?

Post by yoyo123 »

I reckon you should let him read about it,but be there prepared to help him find out additional information etc.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

agreed - let them read it but prepared to chat about it.
Children can feel quite left out of things if people try to keep them away from learning about such events. I don't think the fatalities do sink in at that age - particularly not in the huge numbers that there are. I remember the Aberfan disaster where something like 115 children were buried when a slag heap collapsed. There was a lot of TV / paper coverage but I don't think I really appreciated the meaning of the loss of those children until I had my own children.
moved

Post by moved »

I've always let mine read the papers or listen to radio 4. I remember long discussions about 9-11 when they were in reception and year1.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Thanks .....feel better now.I remember hearing about some hostages trapped on a plane when I was a similar age and was really upsept and quite obsessed with reading about it....I suppose it's a bit of a shock when you first realise that some terrible things can happen..... :(
KB

Post by KB »

If they are still scared about the nuclear aspect it would be worth getting more information than just what they have read in the newspaper. It is slightly complicated! but the experts are reasonably reassuring about the risks, so having more facts might be helpful.

I agree that they should be given access to good information as they will no doubt hear gossip anyway, but there is a danger if they only get as far as reading (sensationalist) newspaper headlines.

There is a children's newspaper, published on a Friday I think, that might be helpful - and is 'Newsround' still going? (used to enjoy watching it when mine were small & often helped me understand better too!)

Some of the images are incredibly graphic and intrusive and I don't think I woud let young children watch them on TV but I guess it depends on the individual child as to what they can cope with.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I remember being really worried reading and hearing about the six days war as it unfolded, and that "the war" would happen all over again. My parents were brilliant and explained to me all about wars and the events leading up to them. I was 10 and still remember it.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Just make sure it's a good quality paper - not one with pin-ups for backing school books in, or derogatory comments about schools today.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Well, when I ask dh to bring home every paper he can find on the train for the rabbit hutch.....ds2 always has a sneaky look through incase he strikes lucky......no need for one with comments about schools though ...they get that when reading your posts over my shoulder ! :lol:
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Never mind letting him, I positively encourage DS to read newspapers. :)
Seriously I understand your concern Scarlett, but as everyone says providing the opportunity to then discuss what he's read is the best thing IMHO.