J M Bond

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Another worried Mum

J M Bond

Post by Another worried Mum »

Apparently Mrs Bond died last month - her obit is in today's Times. :x

Seems she published the 'Bond' papers as J M Bond in the belief that she would not be taken seriously as a woman, letting the belief that the author must be male go unchallenged and was only 'outed' as a woman in 2007. :roll:

I am sure that there are many of us out there who will be eternally grateful for her work in developing the 11+ books!

RIP
stevew61

Re: J M Bond

Post by stevew61 »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituar ... -Bond.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
While the whole country had to contend with the unpopular 11-plus examination, her own local authority also operated an additional 10-plus exam so that pupils’ progress over their final two years in junior school could be assessed. As this extra test was unique to Cheshire, however, there were no books of sample questions to help teachers and pupils prepare for it.

Moyra Bond made up her own questions, writing them on slips of paper and reading them out to her classes. She developed these into a series of test papers and sent them off to Nelson’s (now Nelson Thorne), the educational publisher. Nelson’s not only decided to publish them but also asked her to develop a comprehensive range of books for pupils aged eight to 11. English and Verbal Reasoning were included as well as the original Mathematics.

The first books were published in 1964. At that time, the publishers felt that a female author of a school textbook might deter possible buyers; her name was given as the genderless JM Bond, and the title page described her as “Principal” rather than “Headmistress” of Avalon School. It was not until 2007 that she was “outed” as female.
Amazing. :)
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Wonder if she was on royalties for each sold??? :shock: :shock: £££££££££££
manicmummy

Post by manicmummy »

TIDDLYMUM... lets hope so :D ....bond books were our core and I cant fault them x :)
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

YES hear hear MM. RIP Mrs Bond :)
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

What a fascinating article about an interesting lady. I had assumed Bond was a brand name.
vindi

Post by vindi »

Very interesting. Nice to know the Times has acknowledged a great woman who made my life easier from the process.
J V Bond

Post by J V Bond »

Hi. I came across your forum and your kind words on the internet. I am J M Bond's grandson and have just returned from attending her memorial service this weekend. It makes me very proud to read your words and to know that she meant so much to so many people. I have just written a little blog about my trip to The Wirral this weekend, where I met some of old teachers and pupils at the school where she was headmistress for many years. In case you want to take a look, the link is: http://parktheatre.co.uk/blog/?p=776 (I am building, as Artistic Director, a new theatre in London - hence the blog address!) Many thanks and very best wishes, Jez Bond, London.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

What a lovely message!!
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

What a great thread! I too relied on the Bond books for getting my DS through the 11+. Sorry to hear of the author's passing but pleased to see her getting recognition. I have more JM Bond at home than I do JK Rowling! Just shows, though, that women are still having to play down their gender when it comes to publishing. :(