Teacher training is under attack

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sassie'sDad

Teacher training is under attack

Post by Sassie'sDad »

"Chris Keates, general secretary of the NASUWT, says her union is: "extremely concerned that this proposal and the use of independent schools could result in the privatisation of teacher training, resulting in an emphasis on ensuring that profits are made rather than that quality is ensured." Quality???
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/201 ... e-teachers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
magwich2

Re: Teacher training is under attack

Post by magwich2 »

DH would be very pleased indeed to see the end of traditional teacher training institutions with their pernicious blend of political correctness and left wing outdated nonsense. He took grave exception to the textbook on his course which banged on endlessly that the teaching of maths perpetuated elitism etc etc.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I had a fantastic experience doing a PGCE - not a hint of political correctness and an emphasis on varying teaching styles/learning needs etc coupled with lots of valuable classroom experience.My little daughter has a student at the moment who has been fantastic with her and has totally enthused her.

Teaching maths depicted as elitist :? :? :? Sometimes when I am on this forum I get the feeling I am living in a parallel universe.. :shock:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

pernicious blend of political correctness and left wing outdated nonsense.
none of this on my pgce either
moved

Post by moved »

Nor mine, if maths is elitist does that mean that it can become an option and poorly motivated bottom set year 10s will be a thing of the past? :mrgreen:

Bad moved! Just spent the whole of Sunday marking books.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I'm struggling to understand magwich's comments, to be honest. I would like to know how teacher training institutions purvey pernicious political correctness, and the name of the textbook that banged on about the teaching of maths perpetuating elitism. I think this is causing grave concern amongst us parents who send their children to school at all, and would like to investigate further :D

Seriously though, given the high level of tuition fees being suggested, I am not surprised that alternatives to degrees are being brought to the table, and we need to guard against knee jerk reactions like this one, I think
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now