Don't worry, I'll be brief !

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yoyo123

Re: Don't worry, I'll be brief !

Post by yoyo123 »

the latter.. she used to read to the others !

PS actually I did have a slate and chalk in reception :oops:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Hope it didn't have " I can't read " and was hung round your neck by a piece of string.......Ring any bells, PP Mum ?!!! :lol:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

In defence of ITA, that's how I was taught to read and I had a reading age well over 14 by half way through junior school. It was basically just a primitive and rather misguided early attempt at phonics. (Rather misguided = bl**dy stupid - "learn to read this alphabet, then forget everything you've learned so far and learn this entirely different one instead". (Just like Chemistry, in fact, now I come to think of it - but afaik so little actual chemistry is taught in KS3 and 4 now that there's very little to unlearn at later stages...)

Mike
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

scarlett wrote:Hope it didn't have " I can't read " and was hung round your neck by a piece of string.......Ring any bells, PP Mum ?!!! :lol:
No - no slate. I do remember a girl with messy handwriting having her hands sellotaped behind the back of her chair and being made to write with her feet. We all had to write about it for our weekly composition.
mad?

Post by mad? »

push-pull-mum wrote:
scarlett wrote: I do remember a girl with messy handwriting having her hands sellotaped behind the back of her chair and being made to write with her feet. We all had to write about it for our weekly composition.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
mad?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Ooooh no, I was sporting a fully powdered face at the age of 7 whilst I was writing...those are PP Mum's school memories...

Fancy doing that to a child ! How long ago was this ? ( if you don't mind me asking !) and are you traumatised in anyway ?! I would add that you probably have beautiful writing but my Dad was always punished for messy writing and his handwriting still is, well, messy ...so didn't do him much good...but apparently academic people always do have messy handwriting...or according to him, anyway !
mad?

Post by mad? »

My Dad was taught to write with his left had tied behind his back...he learned to write with this right hand but it was always very messy! :shock:
mad?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Was he left handed ? My Dad was and so or course was made to write with his right hand.....I think he might have mentioned having one hand tied behind his back too.

Wonder what the teachers from those days would think about teaching methods of today ? They would probably think teachers are extremely soft and parents have too many rights !
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

My OH (only middle forties now) was humiliated in class for not knowing his left from his right - he was taught that your right hand is the one you write with :shock: . Mind you his handwriting is illegible, maybe he should have tried his right :lol:

I guess at least some things have changed for the better.

Well done sorting out your child's problems so well, scarlett
mad?

Post by mad? »

scarlett wrote:Was he left handed ? My Dad was and so or course was made to write with his right hand.....I think he might have mentioned having one hand tied behind his back too.
er... imagine so...I am :D
mad?