Schools administering medicine to kids

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hermanmunster

Re: Schools administering medicine to kids

Post by hermanmunster »

scarlett wrote:.Children are now prescribed co amoxiclav which seems to do the trick ( assuming they needed it in the first place of course !) !

Ho Ho - my "only for facial cellulitis and bites drug.." - must be unlucky as seen some nasty reactions to it - adults though suspect kids are OK with it. Agreed most kids will get better with regular extract of the cocoa bean (sweetened)
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

What's especially annoying is that despite all the unwillingness to accept any responsibility, endless form filling and parents being called for the most trivial things, it's all designed to protect the school from legal liability and does absolutely nothing to protect children. At infant school our youngest was blithely sent off with the unsuspecting childminder with quite a nasty concussion which, once the childminder realised the situation, caused panic phone calls and four people dashing frantically across a busy city (childminder's husband to help get ours to hospital, us to meet them there and childminder's sister to look after other children). Child staged sudden miracle recovery about 10pm while they were making arrangements to keep her in overnight.

A formal letter of complaint to the school produced...absolutely no result. All procedures had been followed and they were entirely satisfied that they'd dealt with the incident correctly.

Mike
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

My youngest DD age just 7 was sent home the other day with a massive splinter of wood poking slightly out of her finger by her nail! Apparently she had acquired it at lunchtime, school were 'not allowed' to pull it out - and they did not even call her older sister to come and do it for her (she couldn't manage it herself as in her right hand)! So she had to put up with it, and the pain it was causing, all afternoon! Utterly ridiculous in my opinion! :roll: :roll:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Mike, you needed my dd......she makes it her business to collect the ice pack and harass whichever poor child has bumped their head....stick more than one bumped head sticker on the jumper, and has also been known to fill out the incident form too. :)
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

This wasn't an icepack and sticker bump on the head, it was a full-on, vomiting, blurred vision, losing consciousness concussion which she suffered at LUNCHTIME and was kept at school until home time when was sent off with childminder with nary a word. I'm not sure the medical staff looked quite as tense even when Mrs 1880 was bleeding to death in 3rd stage.

Mike
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

mike1880 wrote:This wasn't an icepack and sticker bump on the head, it was a full-on, vomiting, blurred vision, losing consciousness concussion which she suffered at LUNCHTIME and was kept at school until home time when was sent off with childminder with nary a word. I'm not sure the medical staff looked quite as tense even when Mrs 1880 was bleeding to death in 3rd stage.

Mike

Ugh - glad it sorted itself out .... a real "all boxes ticked" concussion :shock: . trouble is with the that sort of situation is that the school then over react and call people for absolutely anything. difficult to get a balance.... (which is what is needed)

Had the opposite with an axious call to collect 4 year old from school with HUGE bump on head - all staff very anxious and naturally by this time so was kid. Arrived at the same as one of the other mothers (policewoman) - we went into work mode, "stay calm, play down the injury, pretend it happens all day every day, act casual and reassure them all is fine :shock: " DC was quickly much better and, I think, the staff were too!
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

scarlett wrote:Well, I think your dd deserves quite a few stars in her honey pot for wanting to do her homework and completing it even when feeling so ill ! I would mention it to her teacher, that's brilliant !
Thanks scarlett i will certainly mention it as she's one of the youngest if not the youngest in her class and has had a difficult time catching up with the amount of learning she has had to do in her short years. She's in year 2, has had to learn and apply timestables almost all her tables.

She so wants to do well, which is really sweet. Older dd avoids work and will only do what she needs to do :lol:

They were also both on course for not having had any day off school in a year. I have told her not to worry as you cannot help it if you do not feel well and everyone falls ill from time to time.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

endless form filling and parents being called for the most trivial things, it's all designed to protect the school from legal liability and does absolutely nothing to protect children
I think this is the trouble, Mike. Schools are so hidebound these days that following ‘procedure’ has become more important than using common sense, which can lead to the trivial and the extremely serious being treated in the same way and with the same level of urgency.

We were lucky in that DD taught herself to do her own blood sugar testing and injections at the age of 6 because she was desperate to go to Brownie camp :D But I know of many parents who have to go in to schools themselves to administer medicines.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Some schools are excellent though in this regard.One of mine has recently had a stay in hospital and is returning very intermittently to school for half days.The school have been excellent with regards to adminstering medicines and in relocating classes so she can access them - even at quite short notice.
They couldn't have been any more supportive, which makes a great difference in a stressful time. :D
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

Chelmsford mum wrote:Some schools are excellent though in this regard.One of mine has recently had a stay in hospital and is returning very intermittently to school for half days.The school have been excellent with regards to adminstering medicines and in relocating classes so she can access them - even at quite short notice.
They couldn't have been any more supportive, which makes a great difference in a stressful time. :D
maybe I need to move to your area. The school has been supportive over the years but I was shocked when they said they cannot administer medicine yet they send constant forms or make phone calls just to tell me when the kids pump heads.

What happened to the days when school took responsibility and only called parents in emergencies. I guess its the nanny state that encourages this.