Are you born brainy?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sherry_d

Re: Are you born brainy?

Post by sherry_d »

There is an element of being born with it but if its not nurtured it dissapears pretty fast before most have even realised where they are gifted it. A study showed by the age 7 those coming from middle income families will be miles ahead their peers who would have been at the same level as them at 4. Nurturing accounts for a lot otherwise this forum wouldnt exist.

I watched a very sad documentary last year called swapped at birth. This happened in South Africa and showed what nurturing can do to kids even when they dont have your genes.
Impossible is Nothing.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

tiredmum wrote:
Minesatea wrote:This story seems to imply both - the IQ level seems to be genetic but what they achieved was dependant on the opportunities offered to them.
Yes and also perhaps on the self- motivation/character of individual
hermanmunster wrote:I think self belief is one of the key things too - many women in the past were told that education was not for them / not ladylike etc etc ...
I think character and self belief are very important too - and something every parent, whatever their own disadvantages can help a child to build.
My parents left school at 14 and worked long and often anti social hours so they weren't around on the playground to be the sort of parents described by guest201 -
guest201 wrote: In the playground look at the parents of the kids on the top table and then the parents of the kids on the bottom table (talking out of the equation children with disabilities or special needs) and you will see a difference in attitude, I certainly notice it when I am with them
I did well academically, however, and was studying for my second post graduate qualification before I found out that I actually had a below average IQ.

So - am I an arguement for nature or nurture, do you reckon? :D
workhard

Post by workhard »

Hi all!

If we believe nurture does not matter, then what are we all doing on this web site and on this forum?

WH
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

workhard wrote:Hi all!

If we believe nurture does not matter, then what are we all doing on this web site and on this forum?

WH
trying to make up for nature :? :oops: :? :roll:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

PP Mum did well despite her feeling her parents were not around much....but wasn't that more typical of when we were children at primary ? Our parents just dropped us off at school with our skipping ropes and maybe did a round of times tables after dinner if we were lucky ( or unlucky !) We still made it ! however these days we feel anxious all the time re how are children are doing and want to constantly help otherwise we feel our children won't achieve, but surely there are the same amount of brainy/not so brainy children around then as there is now.

Also, don't we all know children who could spell great long words at the age of 4 and you'd think ggrrrh, why can't my child do that instead of looking inane with his crayon...but then the clever child tapers off and yours catches up....why's that ?
Clare

Post by Clare »

" Give me a child until he is seven and I will show you the man"

Anyone remember the series 7 up?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Clare wrote:" Give me a child until he is seven and I will show you the man"
Always interesting point that .... reckon we should spend all our time investigating infant and pre prep schools, don't worry about the senior as they will sort themselves out if the up to seven bit is right. I still think the school my kids went to from 4 was the best bit of their education, helped them make the most of the senior schools.
Clare

Post by Clare »

I have also pondered whether birth order makes a difference.

The eldest child often seems more academically focused.

My middle child has brought me breakfast in bed this morning, so I am very pleased with the way I have nurtured her!

:D
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Clare wrote:My middle child has brought me breakfast in bed this morning, so I am very pleased with the way I have nurtured her!

Oh yes, you have done well, any tips how i can get my children to do this? :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Clare wrote:I have also pondered whether birth order makes a difference.

The eldest child often seems more academically focused.

First born are interesting - known to be more focussed or driven ....

http://www.birthorderandpersonality.com/id15.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

100% mercury astronauts were firstborn (or only)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now