Youth Hosteling

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Fluffy66

Youth Hosteling

Post by Fluffy66 »

We have just renewed our family railcard and noticed that we get free membership to the Youth Hostel Association. Has anyone stayed in Youth Hostels and what are they like.

We've done the £9 Travelodge rooms, now more like £19 if your quick, but this costs a fortune in feeding costs :lol: We camp once a year at family camp with the Scouts and that is more than enough for me :evil: So i like the idea of cheaper, basic accommodation with the facilities to cook for yourself without the possibility of being cooped up in a tent in a storm with 2 restless children :?

Any one got any opinions or advice?
pixiequeen

Re: Youth Hosteling

Post by pixiequeen »

i like the idea of cheaper, basic accommodation with the facilities to cook for yourself
Have you looked at the prices? We stay in youth hostels a couple of times a year (sorry no caps kids have spilt something on keyboard) and you used to get a bed for £7/night and breakfast for £2. ********* were huge with lots of facilities.

Not any more! Not saying YHA isn't fun - buildings are usually great - good for kids to explore and be a bit independent. Average price seems to be £15/night pp which when you add it up comes to lots of dosh. ********* seem to have been down scaled in favour of restaurants. You can still self cater but its often difficult due to lack of storage space in cupboards and fridge and lack of facilites - often 1 or 2 cookers between several families.

I'm not saying don't do it - just be aware how much it costs. We still love it. Want to stay in a castle next!

My best tip though is to use Tesco vouchers - you can pay for your accomodation with them. Have to ring up though and can't do it weekends during school holidays etc. We did it October half term last year in Peak District - hostel was decorated for Halloween and the kids loved it. They also loved the fact that there was a Nintendo Wii in the games room. I was less impressed as we go to get away from all that but Hey Ho.

Pixiequeen
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I stayed in a London youth hostel (very near to kings Cross train station) a couple of years ago. We booked a room with four beds( two bunk beds). It was clean and convenient and included breakfast. It wasn't like the YHA places I stayed in my youth.

I would consider one again.
Clare

Post by Clare »

My daughter stayed in one overnight whilst doing her Duke of Edinburgh that looked like a four star hotel!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now