Boys and Sport

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SSM

Re: Boys and Sport

Post by SSM »

Pushy Dad wrote:Will it be worst at an indie? Well, DD's twin brother is going to Habs and we recently learnt that Year 7 boys will try rugby in the first term and if you don't get selected for the school / house team then you have to drop it and move onto another sport. Habs obviously take their rugby quite seriously. A state school, on the other hand has to be inclusive and such a selective approach to sports would probably not be tolerated.
My DSs wish they had that option. At their state GS they do 2 terms rugby, which both boys hate in Y7. In Y8 they have the option to do hockey for 1 term (which luckily both DSs love). They desperately wish they could do hockey for both terms, but unfortunately, as the school does not have it's own Astro, this option is too expensive for the school to run.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

doodles wrote:Am developing a waterproof one as we speak :lol: :lol:

On reflection maybe one of those granny flowery swimming caps instead. I shall sit looking glamorous with 2 hunky olympic rowers in the boat with my stop watch........
doodles

Post by doodles »

scarlett wrote:On reflection maybe one of those granny flowery swimming caps instead. ....

Now you are being plain silly :lol: Why would I want to look stupid whilst doggy paddling the Channel?
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

For us, the sport factor was secondary factor. My son enjoys sport, but is not one of those naturally talented, all-rounders. He's also a non-contact sort of sportsman, so is nervous about learning rugby.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

My DS is about to embark on secondary school life at a school which seems to place a fair emphasis on a variety of sports...he's definitely not the sporty type...rugby he cried because the boys kept knocking him over . football he's dismissed without trying...but he is quite good at tennis and cricket so it seems to just be contact sports.
Scarlett have you abducted my boys?

I think a sporty school may be important if your boys are sporty but I don't think a sporty school would necessarily be bad for a non-sporty. There will always be more boys who are middling or poor at any particular sport than those who excel at it. Does that make sense?
scary mum
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

............only to you , Scarymum ! :lol: Yes we know what you mean.I'm hoping my jessie of a son might feel more comfortable with rugby etc if he can join other spindly legged boys who might actually be worse than him !

I've been meaning to ask for ages...why are you called Scarymum? You sound actually very nice !
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Our middle son goes to a school that is regarded as very sporty. It is one of the reasons he wanted to put it top of his list. It was a great choice for him and he now competes at national level. Youngest son not at all sporty, will have a go but not overly interested. He wanted to go to the same school as his brother (and thankfully got in). He has made a great group of friends some sporty, some not. There is always something else they can get involved in.

Someone once accused us of letting him down because we didn't make him join a football team and force him to go to training. Apparently, he would be left out at school. :shock We had in fact taken him along to a club when he was a bit younger but he didn't enjoy it.

In short I wouldn't worry about it, it seems to me that the senior schools like the children to get involved, but not necessarily in sport. Having said all of this my cousin didn't like sport until he went to senior school and then fell in love with athletics and became a very good runner. :)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I've been meaning to ask for ages...why are you called Scarymum? You sound actually very nice !
I don't really know - it just came to me when I registered. I nearly joined in that thread a while go which asked how we chose our names but I didnt know what to say! I'm not very scary but I'm a bit like a she lion looking after my cubs and can become quite fierce and dig my heels in if someone gets on the wrong side of me. Mostly though I'm a bit soft pussy cat who likes her belly to be rubbed! Metaphorically of course!! :shock:
scary mum
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Fran17 wrote:went to senior school and then fell in love with athletics and became a very good runner. :)

Oooh I'm having a flashback ....I'm useless at sports but yes, I actually was really good when it came to the 800 metres.....I would just stride past all the serious contenders laughing away to myself because I couldn't believe it ! It more than made up for cutting my face open on the hurdles , not even making it onto the sand on the long jump and being told I had psychological issues with the high jump ( well, it was rather high )

So you see there's always something we can surprise ourselves with ! :)

Scary Mum... I reckon we're all like She Lions when it comes to our children ! ( do you mean a lioness , by the way !)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

actually was really good when it came to the 800 metres.....I would just stride past all the serious contenders laughing away to myself because I couldn't believe it ! It more than made up for cutting my face open on the hurdles , not even making it onto the sand on the long jump
Are you quite sure we aren't the same person? Yes, ok, lioness :)
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now