Boys and Sport

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Freya

Re: Boys and Sport

Post by Freya »

I second those who have said that so called non-sporty boys (and girls) often end up being very sporty once they have found their 'thing'. At secondary level it's sometimes the case that more sporting activities are offered than the usual rugby, football, hockey, cricket. At DS's school you can do all those plus horse riding (eventing), polo, canoeing, sailing, climbing, cycling, fencing, shooting, archery. The emphasis is on finding something you enjoy which involves being active and mostly outside. The pupils are not encouraged to have purely indoor, sedentary interests.

In general at Ds's school you are respected if you achieve (at anything) and so if you win the maths challenge or the house music competition you are considered cool and given kudos by your peers, including the sporty boys. The rugby team are the most respected (and chased by the girls) but then this is Wales.

However! A word of caution. DS says that some rugby sessions are pure **** for those who don't enjoy rugby and rugby is compulsory in games. Sometimes they are 'beasted' which involves a very tough physical workout (runs, sprints, sit-ups, push-ups, shuttle runs, tackle pads) often in pouring rain and cold with a cross country run to finish through muddy water filled ditches. Any boy who mucks up an exercise or moans is sent for an additional circuit of the pitch.

DS loves all this (he is a proper mad boy) but he says that some boys end up exhausted and crying - and that's in a fitness session without any proper contact work. On the flip side, one such boy who at first suffered and cried from the above (a bit chubby and unfit) is now, after 2 years, one of the best players, very fit physique and loves rugby.

I think you need to install a secret spy camera on the games fields to see what it's really like because no school is going to say 'oh yes, we beast them until they cry'.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Freya wrote:
I think you need to install a secret spy camera on the games fields to see what it's really like because no school is going to say 'oh yes, we beast them until they cry'.

That's decided then..my tree outfit I've made to follow DS to school will come in extra handy to check out what's going on during pe....just need to sew in some big pockets to stash a big space blanket ( lined with fleece ) my Mr Men plasters and a big stick to hit the instructor with.........
Freya

Post by Freya »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BoltBlue

Boys and Sport

Post by BoltBlue »

Why do so many grammar schools concentrate on rugby as opposed to football?

At some, there is no choice. Who makes the rules? Why cannot children choose?

Rugby is more violent on the pitch, and off the pitch football is more violent!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

There we go, Boltblue..another mission for you.Conduct some research and then report back !
Freya

Post by Freya »

BoltBlue - Because "rugby is a hooligans' game played by gentlemen . . ." :lol:
Kiwimum

Post by Kiwimum »

It's not just boys - my 14 year old dd has just done cross country in PE and tells me she and her group of friends walked the course and chatted - I can't say much it's exactly what I did at her age!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now