Stupid cat=a mouse in the house

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scary mum

Re: Stupid cat=a mouse in the house

Post by scary mum »

Mmmmm, wine...

Well, Scarlett, your favourite mouse is still free to roam the kitchen at night eating cat food. I've named him Pimpernel in your honour "They seek him here, they seek him there, Unscary Mum seeks him everywhere".

Off to try a different mouse trap :evil:
scary mum
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Perhaps Pimpernel isn't tempted by your trap as he's stuffing himself with cat food..can't you move it ? Or do mice eats dust and crumbs from the floor ( not suggesting your kitchen is anything less then pristine..UnScaryMum :) ).
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

scarlett wrote:Perhaps Pimpernel isn't tempted by your trap as he's stuffing himself with cat food..can't you move it ? Or do mice eats dust and crumbs from the floor ( not suggesting your kitchen is anything less then pristine..UnScaryMum :) ).
I came down to my office once to find half a waggon wheel that I had left unopened on my desk. Offspring clearly not the culprits - teeth marks too small and they wouldn't have left any. The thief was apprehended on returning for the rest the following night, held in custody until morning, given a fair trial and found guilty on the grounds that it was still munching on the evidence which we had left in the trap. The death sentence was commuted to exile in a far-off land - i.e. the other end of the field over the road.
Marylou
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Marylou wrote:
scarlett wrote:Perhaps Pimpernel isn't tempted by your trap as he's stuffing himself with cat food..can't you move it ? Or do mice eats dust and crumbs from the floor ( not suggesting your kitchen is anything less then pristine..UnScaryMum :) ).
I came down to my office once to find half a waggon wheel that I had left unopened on my desk. Offspring clearly not the culprits - teeth marks too small and they wouldn't have left any. The thief was apprehended on returning for the rest the following night, held in custody until morning, given a fair trial and found guilty on the grounds that it was still munching on the evidence which we had left in the trap. The death sentence was commuted to exile in a far-off land - i.e. the other end of the field over the road.
There you go, Citizen Chauvelin, you're using the wrong bait! Off you go and buy wagon wheels (I may even buy a couple myself in your honour. :) )

.... waits to be told they haven't heard of Chauvelin either ... :cry:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Ooh, me, me, ask me Miss!

I have moved the cat food, but it's just a short journey across the kitchen floor, which is probably better than right next to Pimpernel's home. I thought it increased the chances of the cat catching it too.

Mary-Lou, what type of trap did you use?

Next decision will be the bait. The stuff I bought with the other trap? Clearly rubbish. Peanut butter? wagon wheels or other chocolate? Cat food?
scary mum
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

scary mum wrote:
This one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Cheese-Mult ... B000LNBQZY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Works with pink wafers, waggon wheels, good old mousetrap cheese, peanut butter...but in your case I would suggest cat food. :wink:
Marylou
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

scary mum wrote:Ooh, me, me, ask me Miss!

I have moved the cat food, but it's just a short journey across the kitchen floor, which is probably better than right next to Pimpernel's home. I thought it increased the chances of the cat catching it too.

Next decision will be the bait. The stuff I bought with the other trap? Clearly rubbish. Peanut butter? wagon wheels or other chocolate? Cat food?
Remove the cat food altogether! Why would a mouse venture into a dodgy looking trap when there's a bowl of cat food on offer?

Also - if no running buffet on offer your dopey cat might be more inclined to catch the demned elusive Pimpernel.

Going over to Mumsnet or similar now to start a thread on "Too clever for the 11 plus forum." :D
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

push-pull-mum wrote:
Remove the cat food altogether! Why would a mouse venture into a dodgy looking trap when there's a bowl of cat food on offer?

Also - if no running buffet on offer your dopey cat might be more inclined to catch the demned elusive Pimpernel.
I was going to suggest that but assumed it was already done...! I'm sure puss can survive for one night.

Forgot to say - the only problem with the trap we use is that sometimes the mice are reluctant to leave it and hide in the tunnels. They can usually be dislodged with a quick shake and a glimpse of an inviting hedgerow. Don't forget to show mouse to cat before releasing it so it knows what to look for next time. :lol:
Marylou
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

push-pull-mum wrote: .... waits to be told they haven't heard of Chauvelin either ... :cry:
Oh don't despair yet, PPMum...I've heard of him...The Scarlet Pimpernel is an obvious favourite for me ......not as fab as Gone With The Wind of course ! :D

Hope you're not causing a bun fight on MN.

When I asked DS this morning if he remembers the mouse in his bedroom he informed me that a favourite snack was apparently one of his socks...perhaps it smelt of cheese ! :lol:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Right. <girds loins>
floor swept and pristine(!), cat food removed. Three traps set. Hahaha :twisted:

Poor Pimpernel :?

Have found that a neutradol air freshener is fling marvels for the smell! Either that or I'm getting used to it.
scary mum