Ice Cream Machine

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

Ice Cream Machine

Post by doodles »

Help please. I've just bought a bargain, well it will be if I use it and we get the BBQ summer they keep on about!

It's an icecream machine, got it from a well known high street store for £19.99 (they are very reduced there at the moment) so I haven't got to make too much icecream to recoup my money :wink: but it comes with precisely four receipes.

Does anybody have any nice icecream, sorbet, frozen yoghurt recipes. Easy as possible please.

Thanks
suncrest

Re: Ice Cream Machine

Post by suncrest »

Easiest recipe ever:

Buy a large carton of chocolate custard. tip into icecream machine and let it do its stuff

Simples :D
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

A little harder this one:

Any tin of fruit - mangoes or peaches are nicest
tin of custard
large tub of yogurt (low fat Greek is the best)
Icing sugar to taste

Mix and then shove in icecream machine
doodles

Post by doodles »

Thanks suncrest, chocolate one sounds especially good, though yoghurt and fruit one sounds easy as well.

What tipped me over the edge into buying one is the number of odd ingredients I read on an icecream tub lid the other day (first time I'd ever read one :oops: :oops: ) now I am NOT a member of the food police but the list was endless.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Let us know how you get on, Doodles - we've been on the receiving end of pestering for one such gadget. With the cost in the shops it did make me wonder whether we'd save in the long run, given the amount our lot consume. And two of them are allergic to peanuts, so we have to be a bit careful about which brands we buy. :?
Marylou
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

I've had an icecream maker for years and, assuming the one you have is the type you put the bowl in the freezer to chill, these recipes work well and are very simple. All are just a cream base and you can add fruit or other flavourings as you think fit. Measurements are in cups (250ml) because I was given these by my sister in NZ. They don't have to be particularly accurate. Yay!

1. 2 cups whipping cream, 2/3 cup semi skimmed milk, 3/4 cup sugar. Add flavourings such as pureed stawberries, melted chocolate, mashed bananas etc. Stick it in and mix away.

2. 2 large eggs; 2 cups (500ml) whipping cream; 3/4 cup sugar; 1 cup milk. Whisk egg til light and fluffy. Beat in sugar a little at a time and beat until fully blended. Add in cream and milk and flavourings.

Good things I've found to use:

for vanilla icecream just add a teaspoon of vanilla essence and a scraping of vanilla pod if you have it.

Any fruit puree works really well. Make ripple icecream by adding a fruit syrup and swirling just before freezing.

Chopped Mars bars are fab, as are other chunks of chocolate. You can make a good version of NZ Hokey Pokey icecream by adding honeycomb or Chrunchie bars (even better) just before freezing.

I love my icecream maker. Best wedding present ever. :-)
doodles

Post by doodles »

KSB how long do you usually have to churn for? Mine was still a bit soft so I've put it in a box in the freezer, will it be ok do you think? Still tastes a bit sour, will the taste mellow as it freezes? Thx.
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

I've found the churning time depends on how long you've kept the bowl in the freezer - the longer the bowl is frozen the less churning time you need (so minimum overnight, better for 24 hours) but if you want really firm icecream it still pays to put in the freezer for a while or else you can have Mr Whippy type consistency. It should keep for around a week or so for those made with egg, longer if not - however never tends to last that long in this house!

Usually the cream base recipes taste pretty sweet but I do tend to put a little extra sugar in the fruit pulp if using tart fruit and making a ripple icecream.