Salad

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Moonlight

Re: Salad

Post by Moonlight »

Fran17 wrote:I'm still eating it too. I have to admit I made sure my cucumber was British grown.
We eat quite a lot of salad and I have carefully chosen all products grown in the UK, particularly cucumbers whilst shopping this weekend! I don't want to stop eating salad but it does make you think.
moved

Post by moved »

We had a friend come to stay for the weekend and she is dubbing all cucumbers "e colis". So now we have two e colis in the fridge, but we are still going to eat them.

The first of my outdoor cucumbers is doing well, but is still too small to eat.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

yoyo123 wrote:I doubt it will make more people wash their hands after the toilet though, I am amazed at how many people walk out without using the basins :twisted:
Went to a 'Fayre' yesterday - row of food stalls, row of chemical toilets - no soap anywhere.

We brought a packed lunch.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Every time I try to grow something it gets decimated by slugs :twisted: It must be lovely to nip out into the garden and pick your own produce.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Must admit to checking that my salad stuff was grown in the UK and not just packed there. We are growing our own but it's not come through yet.

Can't say that I would go as far as washing it in Milton though - yuk.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

hermanmunster wrote:sounds like they have rounded up the usual suspects and released most of them except Bean Spouts which are now appearing to be the culprit.... deffo best to grow your own !
Oh good! I can now make my favourite juice with the Spanish-grown celery that has been in the fridge since Friday. :D

I wonder what Bean Spouts are though? A tornado on a diet?

moved

Post by moved »

Sally-Anne wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:sounds like they have rounded up the usual suspects and released most of them except Bean Spouts which are now appearing to be the culprit.... deffo best to grow your own !
Oh good! I can now make my favourite juice with the Spanish-grown celery that has been in the fridge since Friday. :D

I wonder what Bean Spouts are though? A tornado on a diet?

:lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Interesting as they were desperately trying to work out why more women than men were affected - had to be some food that women were more likely to eat than men....... certainly I am the only one who would munch raw bean sprouts in our house :oops:
ausvic

Post by ausvic »

It's a shame it has taken this scare for people to make sure they are eating British salad. With the likes of Thanet Earth etc it is possible to eat British all year round though some of the supermarkets are not that good at stocking it. In fact we don't even eat any vegetable that is not British grown even if it means we go without a certain veg. I get really angry in supermarkets when there are row after row of foreign grown veg and salad when the British stuff is available. Obviously I can't buy British bananas etc but if I could I would!!!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

My friend used to do fruit picking every Summer. One year she brought as a carrier bag of Kent cherries, they were wonderful. They were having to throw them away as there was no market. At the same time Sainsbury's were selling USA tasteless cherries for £2.99 for 250g