'o' level science text books...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
push-pull-mum

Re: 'o' level science text books...

Post by push-pull-mum »

mystery wrote:Even the title "Russia - a world history' is a little strange. I think I will write the companion volume - "West Kent - a world history".
I suspect that it was one of a series of 'a world history' books written for the GCSE so maybe the publishers would be interested in a West Kent addition? The Rehab forum has some lovely suggestions for the pyjamas you could then wear for breaking into peoples' hotel rooms.

Really can't remember many other text books ... "Le Francais d'Ajourdui" and the Cambridge Latin Course from earlier years - and lots of Bowlderised Shakespeares. GCSE is a bit of a blank.

Mike
mike1880 wrote:Other than that I'm completely blank. ooh, except RE - deffo remember the textbook for that one was called The Bible :lol: .
Really???
We never read the Bible in RE - even when I was as at a Church school.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Cambridge Latin Course
Was that the orange one with Caecilius and his dog and Vesuvius (or am I imagining that bit)?

I don't think we ever referred to the bible in "Scripture" either :lol:
scary mum
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

mike1880 wrote:I have absolutely no clue what we used. I remember hauling a Biology textbook round probably right from Y7 which we never once referred to :shock: . Other than that I'm completely blank. ooh, except RE - deffo remember the textbook for that one was called The Bible :lol: .

One of the text books I had at Uni was a massive biology hardback and because it resembled in size one of those huge books which sit on the lecturns in church we used to refer to it as The Bible. ( plus everything we did seemed to be based on just this one book ) :shock:
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

scary mum wrote:
Cambridge Latin Course
Was that the orange one with Caecilius and his dog and Vesuvius (or am I imagining that bit?)
That's the one - the most memorable story for me was the one when Caecilius was sent to the market to buy a (male) cook and came back with a beautiful slave girl instead. We all conspired to embarrass our (male, middle aged, resolutely single) supply teacher with difficult questions on the subject. Teenagers are horrible.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Oh yes, we had "Le Francais d'Aujourd'hui" - some annoying family with an infeasible collection of pets doing improbable things?

I can't believe none of you looked at the Bible. Ask me about the synoptic gospels - go on, anything you like. Or the politics of Roman Palestine. Actually, that was about the only non-science O-level I passed, I really enjoyed it.

Mike
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

mike1880 wrote: Ask me about the synoptic gospels - go on, anything you like. Or the politics of Roman Palestine.
Mike

I think it's best if you start your own thread on that one. On another forum. :lol:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Teenagers are horrible
I still cringe about our RS lesson (taken by the local vicar) when we knew from the other class that he was going to run a lesson on swear words and their meaning. I think the idea was to demystify them and bring them out in the open. We spent the entire lesson asking "Sir, what does x mean" for x insert the most embarrassing thing you can think of. The lovely, lovely man just answered everything we threw at him (and of course we knew the answers when we asked) while we all tittered. :oops: :oops:
scary mum
Sugarbeach

Post by Sugarbeach »

I (think I) used Nuffield Physics and Chemistry "O" level text books, I also bought Letts Revise Chemistry and Physics....not really a comprehensive "textbook" though.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

oh yes Le francais d'aujourd'hui and the "Approach to Eating" ... I mean Latin. :oops: every copy had been edited...
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

rachag wrote:Can anyone remember what o level text books they used for chemistry and physics?
I know I used MacKean for o level biology - the one with ribs on a reddish cover. For a level, physics was Muncaster and I think chemistry was Hill and Holman 'chemistry in context' but I cannot dredghttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Principles-Physics-M-N ... pd_cp_b_1e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; up a memory for the above.
At school, we used the following in the early 80s:

For Physics O' Level, we used books by Nelkon & Parker (who also have the A Level book too). There new one is for IGCSE at
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Principles-Phys ... 204&sr=8-3

For Chemistry we used Holderness and Lambert, http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... nd+lambert
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now