Economic Climate - Impact on School Fees?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pheasantchick

Re: Economic Climate - Impact on School Fees?

Post by pheasantchick »

I feel sad for Danny who has been living on false promises. The money was obviosuly not available before he started if she is already £8000 down after one year.

I know one family who have taken their three children out of private education as the husband became made redundant. It was a huge decision but one they had to make.

Do you think the woman is hoping for a mystery benefactor to pay for the school fees, or to improve her freelance career?

Had a quick look at the Educating Together. You have to pay £4 for membership to gain information and benefits. You can get all that info on here for free! They describe themselves as:

"We are the UK’s first website to provide families with an extensive range of high-quality educational support."
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think some do hope for Mystery benefactors - hence agreeing to be in the press. Time was when one might have appeared - particularly for a family who had suddnely fallen on hard times unexpectedly - but this isn't the case - just someone who hasn't done the sums.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I feel more concerned that this child had obviously been told going to this particular school would lead to fame and riches.....let's hope he reaches that goal or he'll never forgive his mother for moving him out !
mystery

Post by mystery »

Hermanmunster, when did I agree to be a benefactor?
yogkruti

Post by yogkruti »

Feel really sorry for the kid.

I do hope she is good enough and becomes a JK Rowling :idea:

but seriously.. this is asking for trouble by not doing any financial planning, messing around with the kids future.

Private schools should start asking for 50% deposits (and so should mortgage lenders)!
tokyonambu

Post by tokyonambu »

yogkruti wrote: but seriously.. this is asking for trouble by not doing any financial planning, messing around with the kids future.
I suspect moving in and out of houses as his mother moves in and out of relationships isn't doing him a lot of good, either.
cairo

Post by cairo »

scary mum wrote:When I had DC1 the midwife came to visit and said "you'd better leave a 3 year gap before the next one as you'll be paying for them to go to university by then". Oh how we laughed...
Bizarrely, this is exactly what my midwife said to me too, straight after I'd had DS1! (Do midwives typically give financial advice on the side?) Anyhow, I didn't laugh - I completely agreed with her and started saving. Some years later it was decided that going to university should no longer be the preserve of the elite, but available to much larger numbers - so the writing has definitely been on the wall since then.

However, unless I'm completely confusing things, university fees aren't actually paid by parents are they, but by graduates after they've got a job? No doubt lots of parents will want to put their hands in their pockets and help out. But there's no actual requirement, is there? So this, in and of itself, should not be making parents feel poorer.

PS My midwife also went on to discuss the unreliability of the state pension and the importance of setting up your own private pension; the importance of never trusting anyone who says "the days of boom and bust are over"; our over-dependence on oil and how the soaring oil price will change our economy forever; the fact that populations are expanding whilst the earth's resources are being used up (if you think the cost of food/water/petrol/utilities is high now, just give it a few years....); the liberalisation of banks increasing the likelihood of a stock market crash and subsequent credit crunch; and the Greeks defaulting on their debt (although it won't be called that) closely followed by the Spanish and Irish and the long, slow death of the Euro. :lol: :lol: :lol: Clever woman, she was.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Are you sure she was the midwife ?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

mystery wrote:Hermanmunster, when did I agree to be a benefactor?
ooops sorry Mystery - I sort of slipped on the old capital letter there .... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

scarlett wrote:Are you sure she was the midwife ?
The midwife was always by tradition the "wise woman of the village". This just proves it! :wink:
Marylou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now