Honesty versus Politeness

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

logic32

Re: Honesty versus Politeness

Post by logic32 »

Oh I'm feeling really bad now. You are all so much nicer than me !

We've compromised on 'I've been really lucky to have fantastic teachers - (smile) well most of them' (laugh, look straight ahead, look straight ahead)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

logic32 wrote:We've compromised on 'I've been really lucky to have fantastic teachers - (smile) well most of them' (laugh, look straight ahead, look straight ahead)
NOOOO! Instead, please go for "I have been really lucky to have many fantastic teachers - to name a few of them, Mrs A, Mrs B and Mrs C".
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Feeling better again now, thanks Sally-Anne !!!!!
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

I would be tempted to let him go ahead with his version of his speech if you didn't have another child going through the school - cowardly I know. From your description of him he is obviously a polite young man and it would be better for him not to alter his good natured behaviour because of Mrs. Awful. The teachers whom he loved will be very proud of him.

When my youngest left his primary school we bought all the teachers a bottle of wine each, one got a much cheaper bottle than everyone else. It might seem petty but I am sure she wouldn't have noticed, but I knew.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Gosh! Don't the teachers bet the speeches before they make them? They could come out with anything. If the speeches are not vetted I'd stick with the original version.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

mystery wrote:Gosh! Don't the teachers bet the speeches
Hopefully, mystery, you mean vet, otherwise I have visions of the teachers in your school running to the bookies at lunch play, and betting on who is the best :D
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I've just got home from our second and last leaving assembly so I can be chilled about this. Let him go ahead. If the teacher is knowingly and publicly dismissive about 50% of her pupils in the way you say she is, then she deserves to be equally publicly put down, her behaviour is unbelievably rude and should not go unrebuked. It won't be a surprise to anyone, parents or teachers. If you really want to rub it in then go and apologise to her for it afterwards in case she missed it.

I'm glad to say that a very similar teacher in our late primary is retiring this year so no more boys will have to tolerate her appalling behaviour (and equally appalling teaching).

Mike
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Mike, please bear in mind that the OP has another child still at this school with three years to go and there is no indication the teacher will retire.

Be nice to your enemies. It wrong foots them. Don't meet her in battle. Far better to smother her with Stephen Fry-like double edged obsequiousness, which shows her up without any come back. "Particular thanks are due to Mrs Awful, from whom I have learned how much I appreciate and value great teaching and superb leadership. A brilliant teacher really is integral to our happiness and development. I would now like to thank Mrs XYZ for their outstanding guidance along the way."
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Well he had to do a practice run today, and was told by Mrs Awful he wasn't allowed to say "well most of them" at the end.

So I've now left it up to him what he does tomorrow.

Today we have also been told the parents aren't going to be able to come and there's suddenly not enough room in the hall. This has never been a problem in previous years. I've got to say we are all really unhappy and a hardcore group of rebellious parents may turn up anyway ! ( yes of course I'm going !)
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

logic32 wrote:Well he had to do a practice run today, and was told by Mrs Awful he wasn't allowed to say "well most of them" at the end.

So I've now left it up to him what he does tomorrow.

Today we have also been told the parents aren't going to be able to come and there's suddenly not enough room in the hall. This has never been a problem in previous years. I've got to say we are all really unhappy and a hardcore group of rebellious parents may turn up anyway ! ( yes of course I'm going !)
I should hope so too Logic32! I would be the same. How dare they say parents can't come now right at the last minute. Storm the building as soon as it's opened in the morning and don't move until you have seen your child's leavers speech.