Odd noises, bees and wasps - any ideas please?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

Re: Odd noises, bees and wasps - any ideas please?

Post by doodles »

Be careful won't you - don't step back when you are on that roof.

Ignore people who tell you that you won't get a nest in the same place next year - it can happen believe me! Try and find out where they are going in and block the hole over the winter, even better if you can get to the nest destroy it during the winter. And before anybody has a go at me we tried the "aah let's leave them alone" route the first year and when for the second year running DS2 couldn't open his bedroom window because the nest was again in the sofit board by his room, we went for warfare!

This year they have moved to the carport :lol: :lol: :lol:
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

I totally agree, this is all out war, I am trying shock and awe, it is working. No mercy. The pile of dead wasps is growing b the hour, quite impressive. This may sound strange, but, i have some petrol and that pile of dead wasps......
Torrylee

Post by Torrylee »

We have used WaspBane traps before. They are not cheap (about £22) but in previous years have worked very well, they are used by theme parks etc.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

in my opinion an overdose of powder is the best method...it coats most of the wasps and then they take it into the nest, hopefully onto the queen wasp itself!
rachag

Post by rachag »

Chap who cuts the lawn told me that one of his customers god rid of them by squirting a whole can of Mr Sheen into their hole. Presumably this stops them breathing by coating their spiracles(?) with something. May be useful for a few of the stragglers, No Ball.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Probably just made the exit tunnel too slippery for them to climb out :lol:
pabrighton0

Post by pabrighton0 »

Torrylee wrote:We have used WaspBane traps before. They are not cheap (about £22) but in previous years have worked very well, they are used by theme parks etc.
A spare can of ant spray did it for us a few years ago. Just waited for evening, and got kitted up with goggles and all - quite an overkill. Not a single one came out that evening. Next day we got reassurance from a couple that just about made it out of the hole.

And they never came back to the same spot..

:D
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

A few confused ones flying around wondering what has happened, amusing on one level, but feel this is just round one to me for now..
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

deleted
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
doodles

Post by doodles »

I got stung about three weeks ago on the ankle and there is still a horrible large shiny red itchy patch where the flippin' critter attacked. Really unattractive for the summer.

It's all out warfare on this year's nest which is in the carport and they have been well and truly chemicalled!

Wonder why some houses get nests and not others. We have had nests three years running.

Hope your daughter and her friends and the horses are ok LL.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now