Odd noises, bees and wasps - any ideas please?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ally

Re: Odd noises, bees and wasps - any ideas please?

Post by Ally »

Hope you solved your problem. Had the man from the council out a week ago to spray a nest in our front porch. They're very busy at the moment, it's a bad year for wasps. So had to book a slot for nearly a week in advance. Cost £55 for one nest, £70 or two ( same visit) reduction in cost if your on benefit. Seemed much more professional (and cheaper) than the private company I used a couple of years ago. The company I used last time sprayed the nest and left straight away. The man from the council spray the nest, waited in his van for 15 mins and then sprayed the nest again and waited to see what happened.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

We had someone out last week, £45 for one nest.

We've used the same company before when both we and the wasps thought we must have a nest - but it turned out to be the house in the same relative position in the next road that actually had the nest, so the dozy beggars were getting into our loft, presumably wandering around puzzled and then for whatever reason following some pipework and popping out behind our toilet. Very scary indeed :shock: :shock: :lol: !

So...get them dealt with, or you never know where they'll turn up...

Mike
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

Thanks for the advice, I am determined to kill them myself, only as a last resort call in the council. They dont seem too concerned as I try and powder by their entrance, a lot of close buzzing around my ears!!!
rachag

Post by rachag »

Perhaps OH was right and they are wasps on further extensive observation. Wasps do not do structural damage and don't return to the same nest and as they are so high up, not in the way of any of us, I will leave them and just enjoy watching some die. I have 6 traps baited with different things - old bacon, wine, squash, molasses and mixtures of these -yum.
No Ball - according to forums such as money saving expert, yes you can kill your own nest - I think it recommends permethrin around nest and wasps take it in and it kills colony BUT it needs preparation. Do it after dark - meant to be dozy and cover up with goggles, gloves etc as wasps send out some sort of chemical when they are being attacked which causes them to swarm in an aggressive way. Do be careful! My mother seemed to develop anaphylaxis to wasp stings in her mid fifties.
Our council only does rats mice fleas and bed bugs and only for those on certain benefits. It says on their website which contractor they use and recommends 3 quotes etc.
Sally Herts

Post by Sally Herts »

We had the same thing a couple of years ago, and left it. The nest was in the flat roof of our rear single-storey extension. I quite enjoyed seeing them come and go over the summer. They tended to fly straight out into a nearby oak tree, or land to have a drink in our garden pond. They haven't been back since, so can confirm they don't return to the same nest. We used to eat tea on the patio, and I'd put out an extra saucer for them. They didn't really bother us too much.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sounds like the Mad Hatter's tea party!
rachag

Post by rachag »

Sally Herts - many thanks for that. Good to know that just because they are making noises in a flat roof doesn't mean they are some terrible house weakening bee!
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

rachag wrote: Good to know that just because they are making noises in a flat roof doesn't mean they are some terrible house weakening bee!
Thas made me laugh so much....I'm now trying to visualise a house weakening bee.... :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

No-ball if it is wasps then you can buy a can of foam that you spray into the nest entrance which deals with them completely. I got one last year from Homebase. It has to be done in the evening when they are less active but it really worked. Don't think I'll ever get the sight of DH's descent from the ladder once he had sprayed them out of my mind though - it was 11 o'clock at night and it was very Only Fools and Horses. I am sure that you will be far more dignified!
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

Bought 4 bottles of the powder and blitzes 3 areas of the roof with it. Covered the guttering and roof tiles as well as lifting the tiles to blitz the entrance hole. Activity seems to have died. Wore gloves that's about all, important to remain calm when wasps start buzzing with excitement at impending genocide