Does anyone else feel sad when....

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rachag

Does anyone else feel sad when....

Post by rachag »

...one's DC's stop hanging around all the time?? They go off on their own and play etc and I'm left alone in kitchen with radio 4, wine and cooking dinner. It started a couple of years ago on and off and part of me was glad that I could actually listen to a whole radio item and concentrate. I am alone more often than not now due to homework, own stuff etc and miss a child interrupting and going on at me. I am too old for any more. This is just the beginning of their separation I know but it is very sad. :(
push-pull-mum

Re: Does anyone else feel sad when....

Post by push-pull-mum »

Yes - I've noticed this summer particularly that my children don't seem to need my attention unless we're going on some pre-arranged outing. I've been up in the attic doing belated Spring-cleaning a lot of the time and so long as they're fed at regular intervals they seem to be quite happy with their own books, games, musical instruments etc. I don't think I've had to do much 'parenting' this holiday - and I do miss it. :(
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

My children are really growing up now. My daughter starts her final year at secondary school in September and I can't believe where the time has gone. It doesn't seem five minutes since we looked around the school together. My son is about to start in Year 8 and I've noticed a big change in him. He is definitely turning into a teenager and spends a lot of time in his room with his laptop! I look at my children and see them developing into young adults and I am really proud of them both. As for me, I look in the mirror and realise just how old I'm getting!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

This thread has really struck a chord with me. My son, about to enter year 10, has spent all of his time in his bedroom apart from our week in a caravan together. He grudgingly participated...
My daughter, going into year 8, is extremely pleasant company but no longer needs me either. It's like hanging out with a friend when we're together. So I have so much more freedom but I do find these changes hard. Don't even start me on the abandoning of particular cuddly toys after years of tucking both child and toy in every night. I really struggled with that.
Yes, it's a slow abandonment and it's torturous.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

But also quite exciting seeing them grow up and mature.

However, I'm not looking forward to having less inside knowledge about their life when they start senior school. ie. who their new friends are, what is going on etc

At the begininning of the holiday, we had a big tidy-up and clear out in DS's bedroom - I was definitely more sentimental with some toys then DS was.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now