Ban on Skirts for girls is gathering momentum.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scary mum

Re: Ban on Skirts for girls is gathering momentum.

Post by scary mum »

http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/teen-spen ... t-ban.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

Should be girls skirts or trousers, boys trousers or skirts surely?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

On our local news this morning, there was another school (in Bradford I think it was - could be wrong though :roll: ) whose now banned the wearing of skirts too.

I really want to slap the schools (metaphorically you understand) when they do this :evil:
Jetster

Post by Jetster »

Our local girls selective school changed their uniform from skirts to kilts, I know the girls weren't impressed at the time but they look so much better. The comp hasn't gone down this route yet, so we still get to see the 'belt' style skirt which barely covers their bottoms.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

DD's school (not selective) has a new head teacher and she started cracking down on skirt length last week. Previously the older girls were almost always seen out and about in tight fitting belt sized skirts but they have been told they have to wear skirts below the knee now or else wear trousers.

Most are opting for trousers.
pabrighton0

Post by pabrighton0 »

scarlett wrote:At the school my DS will be starting at , apparently they are very strict on uniform and the boys carry a card around and given a black mark if their shirt is hanging out etc.( Ds2 has reliably informed DS1 that the black mark is given to you on your body , rather like The Black Spot :shock: )
Do these cards get lost often then? :)
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

A few of the schools where I live have opted for kilts and what I can't understand is the girls still roll them up and have a huge roll around their middles. :o I was the pencil skirt, slit up the back era too. I remember my friends and I had difficulty getting on the routemaster buses on the way to school. We used to have to step on sideways and yank ourselves up. No wonder the slit was forever splitting. I'd say the girls should be allowed to choose. If it were me I would opt for trousers every time. :D
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

At Rugby, the skirts are extremely long; down to their ankles. Of course there is NO way they could roll them up...so the fashion is to buy them large enough to sit on the hip, rather than the waist, to allow them to drag on the floor!
aargh

Post by aargh »

push-pull-mum wrote: I do know some Christians who don't believe girls and women should wear trousers. What would the schools do about them?
We've got into a similar discussion on the "first kiss" thread. On the Christian issue, cairo mentioned it comes from a passage in St.Paul which says men should wear men's attire and women women's attire.

I pointed out
a) in St.Pauls's day British women wore trousers and St.Paul wore a dress.
b) women's attire today includes trousers.
Doblinski wrote:Should be girls skirts or trousers, boys trousers or skirts surely?
Indeed, hence yon boy in Cambridgeshire who protested at the school not allowing boys shorts by coming in in a skirt.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I don't see the problem in banning the skirt. Just have one unisex uniform, why not a boiler suit and that solves all problems! :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now